Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've tried several.. and none seem to live up to their claims of no fling.. I actually need to find out what they use in my dealership as that is the only one that seems to stay on the chain and not migrate onto the tire and swinging arm etc

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts
The most important is to ride the bike to warm up the chain before applying, and then letting it sit for 1h for solvents to evaporate. You can also wipe off the excess. Recently I tried using gearbox oil as recommended by chain manufacturers, and you just apply it with a brush, wipe off the excess, and considering its so cheap, it does a pretty good job. Some will prefer waxes that tend to fling less, but again, warm the chain, apply and wait.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The most important is to ride the bike to warm up the chain before applying, and then letting it sit for 1h for solvents to evaporate. You can also wipe off the excess. Recently I tried using gearbox oil as recommended by chain manufacturers, and you just apply it with a brush, wipe off the excess, and considering its so cheap, it does a pretty good job. Some will prefer waxes that tend to fling less, but again, warm the chain, apply and wait.
Well in a perfect world your right but who has time to fiddle around.
My experience I’ve the last 50 years has been far less involving.
Just apply the chain lube and ride. Find that cleaning chain frequently and keeping lubed to point the rollers aren’t shiny or bare is adequate.
I rarely need to lube more than once every 300 to 400 miles and chains last 30,000 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
The Dupont product with Teflon has been great for me. I used to get it at Lowes but they have discontinued it. I did find it through Amazon and it is packaged differently but seems to be the same product. Regardless, it uses alcohol as the carrier and uses a wax type lube and Teflon. I get very little to almost no fling. It does not collect dirt either. It should be noted that I live in a very hot environment and have to ride in temps around 110 in the summer (I just don't ride when it's above 110 which is most of the summer). Even in these temps the lube stays where it should be.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I think it's more about application, than product. Don't use too much and wipe down the excess. Also worth noting that it's important to spray on chain lube from the inside of the chain, so that centrifugal force pushes the lube outwards and coats the chain. If i had a dollar for every time i seen someone do it from the outside and it makes spray off worse.

·
Driftless Admin
11,507 Posts
I think it's more about application, than product.
I agree, but lord there is some crappy product out there. I was out on the road this summer and ran out of lube, and I needed it. Chain was clunking so I just stopped into an Autozone and got what they had, some liquid wrench branded product. Went on thin, made a mess, and hours later the chain is clunking again. Now, if I was in my garage the mess part wouldn't have been as bad since I could have wiped down the chain easily, as it was I was doing the push-and-spray-repeat method. But the crap did not work. Run into a few brands like that and have given away and thrown away near full cans.

Any of the stuff recommended around here will be fine. I happen to use Maxima Chain Wax. Once I got a can of that at a a Honda dealership on my trip I was good-to-go. Left the liquid wrench stuff in their trash.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
This stuff. WalMart stocks it and has the best price. Doesn't fling off, and doesn't attract and hold dirt. Du Pont makes a companion product for chain cleaning in a red can, usually found right next to this.
This is what I use. No issues. Walmart or Amazon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
First, forget all the above advice! Really, just forget it. Chain-lube products are a waste of money.
Second, watch the Youtube from "forty-nine" on chain lube (link below).
Let it sink in...you know, kinda like chain-lube is supposed to, but can't, because your O-ring or X-ring chain won't let it into the part that needs the lube.
Then just clean the chain with WD-40 and lube it with Gear-Oil.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
This stuff. WalMart stocks it and has the best price. Doesn't fling off, and doesn't attract and hold dirt. Du Pont makes a companion product for chain cleaning in a red can, usually found right next to this.
That's what I use.
Great stuff.
The best lube for pad locks, too.

·
Driftless Admin
11,507 Posts
First, forget all the above advice! Really, just forget it. Chain-lube products are a waste of money.
Gear oil is a good chain lube as well, I may start using that when I run out of chain wax actually. Cheaper but more of a pain to apply. But chain wax and the Dupont stuff work too.

Your gear oil doesn't get by your o-rings either you know, they all work the same way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's Dupont Chain Wax for me too. Little if any spray; however I do apply to a warm chain and let it sit overnight. I once went 2000 miles without lubing the chain. It didn't care. These modern sealed O-Ring chains are pretty much bullet-proof for 30K miles or more.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well in a perfect world your right but who has time to fiddle around.
My experience I’ve the last 50 years has been far less involving.
Just apply the chain lube and ride. Find that cleaning chain frequently and keeping lubed to point the rollers aren’t shiny or bare is adequate.
I rarely need to lube more than once every 300 to 400 miles and chains last 30,000 miles or so.

I dont always warm the chain and wait for it to dry either, but he was asking how he could avoid everything ending up on the wheels/tires, and that's the best way to prevent that. You can take any product on the market that says it wont fling. If you put it on cold and ride right away, it will fling.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I’ve used both BellRay and Motul and, provided I apply it sensibly, I’ve had few problems with it flinging off. Trick is not to overdo it.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts