Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been studying this subject both on this forum and some other MC forums. The philosophies range from constant lube like Scott Oilers to "never touch it". I have read the chain needs immaculate cleaning at each lube to cleaning the chain will damage the o-rings. Is regular chain lubing something you all do? I know it is listed in the manual as scheduled maintenance so I have been cleaning lubing with Dupont Teflon lube.The Honda branded chain lube a friend gave me became a huge cleaning mess. Also I have read cleaning the chain in any meaningful way (I use WD-40 and a purpose made chain brush) is damaging to the o-rings. If the o-rings trap lube in side the links and pins what are we lubing? The side plates? Don't want to ignite a "chain lube war" but I am interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think there were 2 different honda chain products - one was more like a thicker grease, and the other was closer to the dupont teflon (I still use that stuff today).

It also depends on what type of chain you have, I will assume we are discussing o-ring chains.

It's hard to say. I have seen success, and failure, with every approach you mention. The best success was to clean and lube it with gear oil (but everybody's experience seems to vary).

I suppose it's a matter of what conditions you ride... a lot of dusty dirt roads like in Utah? Are you always in the rain in Tacoma? Are you in the mud a lot? Is the bike garaged and you only ride in the sun?

The main reason I like to inspect the chain (and lube it) - that way I find problems before they become more severe.... sprocket wear, chain wear, tight links... I had a problem with a chain starting to kink more often, and I caught it before it became a big issue.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have been studying this subject both on this forum and some other MC forums. The philosophies range from constant lube like Scott Oilers to "never touch it". I have read the chain needs immaculate cleaning at each lube to cleaning the chain will damage the o-rings. Is regular chain lubing something you all do? I know it is listed in the manual as scheduled maintenance so I have been cleaning lubing with Dupont Teflon lube.The Honda branded chain lube a friend gave me became a huge cleaning mess. Also I have read cleaning the chain in any meaningful way (I use WD-40 and a purpose made chain brush) is damaging to the o-rings. If the o-rings trap lube in side the links and pins what are we lubing? The side plates? Don't want to ignite a "chain lube war" but I am interested in your thoughts.
I allways use aScott Oiler,some say WD 40 isnt good for the o-rings but lots of people use it,it may make the o-rings go soft,but never use it so I dont know,with the Scott Oiler I find it is easy to keep chain clean.

Plasma.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never leave the road and with the Dupont the chain doesn't seem to accumulate much dirt. Does lube make the sprockets last longer or do they attract grit which will cause them to wear faster? Since I enjoy tinkering with the bike I will probably keep to my chain lube schedule but wondered what others were doing.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I never leave the road and with the Dupont the chain doesn't seem to accumulate much dirt. Does lube make the sprockets last longer or do they attract grit which will cause them to wear faster? Since I enjoy tinkering with the bike I will probably keep to my chain lube schedule but wondered what others were doing.
Yes lube will make sprockets last longer.

Plasma.

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnevile SE
4,869 Posts
GArider. Yes I regularly clean and lube my chain 2-400 miles
Or as soon as possible if had to ride in the rain I've used various chain cleaning sprays but like Motorex the best. I use the grunge brush if really dirty otherwise just a rag. I use the DuPont for lube. I've got over 18K miles now and the chain looks new. Sprockets still in great shape. Had to adjust just once so far.

I wouldn't worry about the o rings too much. They'll be fine. I bet I'll get an easy 40K on chain and sprockets. That seems pretty good.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I use some WD-40 sprayed on a rag to clean chains when they get really dirty, been doin' it that way for years and have never had a single issue on any o-ring chain I've done it on. I have been using the Dupont lube the last year or so and have found it to be perfectly suitable stuff. I have a chain brush also but have only ever used it on offroad machines. I would say you are on the straight and narrow with your current maintenance regiment.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Scottoiler + whatever lube I have around. ATF works well at lower ambient temperatures. Chain and sprockets on my old VFR800 still looked brand new at 90,000km, with a Scottoiler installed from new.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Scottoiler. You know your chain is always lubed, no need to carry cans of lube on long trips, and it seems to keep the chain clean too. I never clean the chain as such, just make sure the oiler is filled when it needs it, and the chain stays moist but clean. It's pretty much the first aftermarket kit I fit to any chain-driven bike.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wd- 40

Okay I have used wd-40 since day one. With excellent results!

Thanks,
Stealth

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
you will get as many varied opinions as if asking about "what oil to use"

for me, have about 50,000 kilometers on the original chain. it and the sprockets need replacing

rarely lubed it, but kept it clean with kero as my thought was being an o ring chain, applying lube is only for the sprockets. I also found that sticky lube picks up sand and grit that wears out the sprockets

however, of late I have been changing my mind. it was noisy so I lubed my chain just before a recent 3,000 kilometer trip and noticed it was a lot quiet. at the end of this long tour and by the time I was back home noticed it was a lot more noisier, so re lubed it. that was well over 3,000 kilometers between lubing

at the 50,000 kilometer mark the chain is a bit kinked and I cant get a consistant chain adjustment, in other words part of the strand is loose and other part is tight. so it seems that the links and rollers are worn. the sprockets them selves dont look that bad, but I will be changing the lot

I do not think it necessary to lube it as frequently as suggested in the owners manual. I am now using Yamaha chain lube. very sticky and black in colour

if I got 50,000 kilometers out of a set of chain and sprockets with rarely lubing it and just by keeping it clean and properly adjusted, then one would expect to double the life by using a scottoiler

·
Registered
536 Posts
There are 3 viable options for the welfare of the chain and the quality of the ride that it bestows in gratitude for this,

They are (in no particular order) 1, Scottoiler. 2, Scottoiler, 3, Scottoiler. There is a 4th, I think it may be Scottoiler but I can't swear to it.

Geoff.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I like to soak my chain in degreaser then rub sand and iron filing on the chain and the sprockets. If I feel up to it, I smack it with a ball peen hammer to kink the links. And of course, I always leave it out in the rain so it develops that nice iron oxide coating.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I like to soak my chain in degreaser then rub sand and iron filing on the chain and the sprockets. If I feel up to it, I smack it with a ball peen hammer to kink the links. And of course, I always leave it out in the rain so it develops that nice iron oxide coating.
Sounds like an awful lot of trouble to me, why not just fit a Scottoiler.

Geoff.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
. . . it's a ritual type thing :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's pretty cheap and it can't hurt...right? I lube my chain once a month or so and inspect for excessive dirt & grime. Living in the PNW, we get a lot of rain and I spend a lot of time on wet roads so lots of grime/muck. Even if the chain lube does very little, it's like $7 a can and lasts forever. I figure I feel better for doing it.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
564 Posts
I clean my chains (my Bonnie and D675) with kerosene and a rag...maybe with a grunge brush if I went offroading in the dirt (mostly the D675..running off the track or crashing).

Once clean I use the Dupont Multi Use dry lube. Chain pretty much stays clean. I lube religiously too. Once a week on the Bonnie...and after the first session of each trackday on the D675

Both are on the original chains and show no signs of wear and just normal stretching...so yes...no shark toothing, no deep teeth, etc. The Bonnie has close to 40k miles and the D675 has 19K miles....and 10K miles of it is all track

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have used all manner of chain lubes. The most "narley" was the dreaded hot 90 W and grease brew that you soaked and heated your chain in on a hot plate. The Norton seemed to lube itself, and everthing else aft of the motor. But by far the most effective non-fling (coat the back of the tire, rim, and the back of your shirt) is Bel-Ray Super Clean (white). Apply it after a ride, when the chain is hot. It does not fling off.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
My original DID X-ring chain had 27,000kms on it and I never took care of it at all. Eventually, it developed some tight spots in it so I swapped it out with a DID O-ring chain. That chain stretched so quickly that in one season I was almost out of tensioning adjustment. Now I've got an X-ring chain back on there.

IMO, just buy the best quality chain you can, and you don't have to worry about all the maintenance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.