Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
borderline retarded question, but anyone know how i can effectively apply chain lube without the use of a center stand or buying any type of motorcycle lift? i just realized i have been somewhat neglecting this.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It is possible

It is possible like Sweat said to just push it forward but if that's not possible you can also turn your handle bar to full lock to the right, pull on the right grip while you stand on the left side of the bike and using the kick stand as a lever torque the bike over, leaving the front wheel on the ground then you can rotate the raised rear tire by hand...
it's easier than it sounds...wish I could send a video

·
Registered
521 Posts
What sweat said. It will take four or five times of pushing the bike forward, stop, lube, repeat, to get the chain completely lubed. Would love to see the video of levering the bike up on the sidestand though.

·
30,527 Posts
Exactly like ocguyocguy says, it works very well.

Some people use a car jack on the frame on the opposite side of the kickstand, and lift the rear wheel just clear of the ground so that they can spin the wheel freely.

I found just lifting the bike and turning the wheel a bit at a time easier.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
before I obtained a centre stand I used a cheap bottle jack. Put it under the plate that bridges the lower part of the frame in front of the engine. It doesn't slip there. FWIW I still use the jack to raise the front wheel for cleaning, service etc
Phil

·
Registered
220 Posts
what kinda lifts, stands, lubes are all ya guys using?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P
this looks like a pretty good deal. craftsman never really dissappointed me, so should be solid? probably snag it tomorrow. any ya guys got good lube recommendations?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P
this looks like a pretty good deal. craftsman never really dissappointed me, so should be solid? probably snag it tomorrow. any ya guys got good lube recommendations?

i JUST started reading some of the reviews on this thing from sears website, and it has some really crappy reviews. all people complaining about the same thing really...maybe should steer away afterall...

·
Registered
472 Posts
i JUST started reading some of the reviews on this thing from sears website, and it has some really crappy reviews. all people complaining about the same thing really...maybe should steer away afterall...
:knockknock:Buy a center stand, that way you won't mess anything up, plus the bike looks much better on a center stand in the garage. That coming from someone whose bike has been in hibernation since November.:eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ther's a product called Wheel-Spin available over here. Fast Bike Bits, stock it (among others).

It consists of some roller bearings in a adjustable frame that slides under the rear wheel which then turns on the rollers enabling easy rotation.

I've used it for a few years on bikes with only a side stand.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Here's a picture of Sears' premium aluminum motorcycle lift. It's received better reviews and works well for me. It weighs about 40 pounds, light enough that even a white-collar guy like me can pick it up and carry it around when necessary. Downside is that it's more expensive than the other model, but it does go on sale sometimes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
what kinda lifts, stands, lubes are all ya guys using?

Yeah I read all these reviews and bought one anyway. My uncle has a Speedmaster and has had this jack for years with no problems. I haven't had any problems with it yet either, but I haven't had it very long. I bet Sears has sold thousands and thousands of these things. I'd be much more inclined to post a review if I was pissed off than if I got what I expected out of the product. My point is that I'm sure all of them aren't junk.

I'm not recommending it, I'm just saying I could afford this one and I took the gamble.

TIP: If you go into Sears to buy one, the 2008/09 Hand Tools Catalog has this jack listed for $89.99. They WILL honor this price. That's what I did. The alum one is better, no doubt, but it's a lot more money.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Google "rollastand". You'll find one near you..

will the location of the exhaust (predators in particular) prohibit the use of one of the rear roller stands?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TIP: If you go into Sears to buy one, the 2008/09 Hand Tools Catalog has this jack listed for $89.99. They WILL honor this price. That's what I did. The alum one is better, no doubt, but it's a lot more money.

where can i find one of these hand tools catalogs? was it an online thing, or a mailer?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'd go for one of these..........

Good for lifting rear wheel, front wheel, or both, dependant on where you place it under the frame.

Or, for lubing the chain, fit a Scottoiler and forget about it for a year!!

(but thats a very different subject altogether!!)

V.

·
Registered
232 Posts
where can i find one of these hand tools catalogs? was it an online thing, or a mailer?
They are inside the store at the counter probably.
When I went in they had the 2008/09 and 2010. The price is different in the 2010 ($99.99 or $119.00, I can't remember). I never had one, someone on another forum posted this. I just called the store and told them about the price in the 2008/09 catalog and asked if they would honor the price. The salesperson looked for himself and said yes they would honor the price. I got his name, and went in a couple of weeks later and did the deal. They'll gladly do it for you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 33 Posts