Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been told I need a new chain at 17500 miles as bike is being serviced for a 3000 mile tour of France. The mechanic has said I do not need sprockets, I was always under the impression "new chain, new sprockets" your thought would be appreciated. What mileage are you getting out of your chains cheers Spud

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Spud,

I changed my last chain and sprockets on (coincidentally) 17,500 miles. I think that's a reaonable life span considering what they go through. My Tiger is now on 32,000 miles and the second chain and sprockets are still going strong.

I can't believe a qualified mechanic has given you that advice :confused:. The sprockets wear with the chain, and just renewing the chain would give premature wear.

You know the right thing to do ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chain life.

28600 miles on original chain plus scotoiler from new.
Needs replacing now & I will replace both chain & sprockets.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
48,000KM (30,000Mi) on my original OEM Chain. Using DuPont Teflon chain lube every 300km. Chain is always left just on the loose side as well.

Sprockets are original too and they're also fine too, worn yes, but not hooked or even too visibly elongated.

Might get around to changing them soon, but they're certainly not worn out as much as some mechanics would have you believe.

You just need to find a mechanic who isn't always trying to sell you something new......

Mick

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy is adamant that the sprockets are not worn out hence do no need changing, also spoken to another mechanic who said that sprocket quality is so good now a days that although he always says to change them, it is not always necessary, cheers Spud

·
Registered
351 Posts
The guy is adamant that the sprockets are not worn out hence do no need changing, also spoken to another mechanic who said that sprocket quality is so good now a days that although he always says to change them, it is not always necessary, cheers Spud
Spud, I would agree with the mechanics. My 1050 is the latest of 5 Triumph models I've owned. IMHO Triumph now fit chains at the lower price end of the market. I noticed mine going rusty after a matter of weeks. I've never had to keep on top of a chain like this one to eek miles out of it.

I suspected the sprockets were made to a higher spec than the chain and consequently should last longer. I won't have a problem replacing the chain and not the sprockets.

I now have about 14K on the original chain but I'm pretty sure it will need replacing before 20K. On my earlier Triumph models chains were still perfect at 20k miles.

JJ

·
Registered
672 Posts
when I went for the MOT recently I was told the chain is knackered, its only done 10,000 miles. :eek: 6000 miles i have covered, and 5000 miles with a scottoiler.

so it will be a complete set of C & S.

dunno if its something to do with the roads I use 13 roundabouts within 15 miles. or how hard the bike was ridden before I bought it. as I had to replace the pads when I got it and the rear tyre after 4125 miles.

I will have a better idea when I change the c & s

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mechanic has just phoned me with regards to the new chain, he has fitted a new rear boot ready for my off on Friday he has give the chain a good go over and has said it is good for another 4k miles or so, which will see me through this trip at least, so that will push the chain mileage to around 23k miles. cheers Spud

·
Registered
429 Posts
+1 on Graeme's opinion - I have never changed the chain without the sprockets.

But as I squeeze 30000 miles out of each set (like miker) and put a lot of TLC into keeping the chain well lubricated (even to the extend of importing a special lubricant from Canada) I suppose it may be possible to rapidly wear out a chain without completely knackering the sprockets at the same time.

To ensure that Belton does not think he is doing something wrong I should maybe mention that I do a lot of long distance biking...

If johnjo had his chain going rusty after "a matter of weeks" and expects to require a replacement C & S kit before 20 k's I would propose that we compare our chain servicing methods before his Oiler was fitted to ensure that his methods are equal to mine or miker's - but I agree with him that Triumph has decreased the OEM quality of the chains if compared directly with the 955...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just changed my C&S today, got 20k out of the set I put on this time last year, Renthal Sprockets and DID X Ring chain, didnt bother with the Renthals this time but still put the DID chain on, I dont think 20k is bad without a scott oiler, I use Wurth Dry Lube and probably dont use it as much as I should.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Changed chain and sprockets on an 02 Sprint at about 14K miles, rear sprocket was "slightly" worn and front was getting near change time. Changed the Tiger's sprocket and chain at about 21K and it was the same story. It WAS NOT time to change the rear and the front was "getting there" but could go an additional 5+K without any problem. I have also found the service manual method of testing chain wear to be less than idea too. I cleaned my old chain thoroughly with kerosene, hung it from a bar with 40lbs on the end. When I measured 20 links, it was still under 320mm. IMO it is time to change chains when you have to adjust it frequently and/or you can pull it off the sprocket and see daylight. It is time to change sprockets when the teeth get sharp and/or the shape of the valley gets very unsymmetrical. My vote is with the mechanic in the OP.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have also found the service manual method of testing chain wear to be less than idea too. I cleaned my old chain thoroughly with kerosene, hung it from a bar with 40lbs on the end. When I measured 20 links, it was still under 320mm.
Yup - I did the same when I suspected mine was worn. It was well within official tolerance but it was indeed past it at 24K-ish miles.

Jon

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oil & Filter. Chain & Sprockets.
Looks like chain and sprockets is the new oil or tire thread. Lots of opinions and personal experiences based on, IMO, "my mechanic said". Just something a couple of things to think about:
1. Considering the number of bikes on the road, how many catastrophic chain failures have you actually seen?
2. Every major chain maker provides stretch data based on links and pin to pin distance. How many guys do you know who actually measure that?
3. There are ample pictures, diagrams and drawings depicting when a sprocket needs to be replaced. How many guys actually look at the sprocket teeth to determine "IF" they are shot?
4. How may guys are lemmings and at X miles say "new chain and sprockets" to their dealer?

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Looks like chain and sprockets is the new oil or tire thread. SNIPPPP..........4. How may guys are lemmings and at X miles say "new chain and sprockets" to their dealer?
Indeed, most dealers will be trying to sell you something, or upsell you on a service. There is one more question....

5. How many guys actually take the time to investigate THEMSELVES as to the cause of a problem, or whether their chain is worn.

I'd hazard a guess in saying MOST of us will defer to the more experienced mechanics, and probably suck it up because it gives us a sense of security.

Take a look at this for a different perspective. http://jalopnik.com/5780095/a-vintage-motorcycle-mechanics-lament-for-the-

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well coming up to 21k now and the chain has not been changed as the mechanic has said it is still useable and still states that the sprockets do not need to be changed with the chain cheers Spud

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
IMHO Triumph now fit chains at the lower price end of the market. I noticed mine going rusty after a matter of weeks.
Don't know what you're basing this opinion on because the chain on my new T800XC is an RK525GWX with "JAPAN" stamped on it so as far as I'm concerned is equal quality to the DID X-ring fitted OE to my 2002 Tiger955i.
As for rust on your chain. That just proves that you're not lubricating it enough.

Anyway, I've always believed that the sprockets should always be changed along with a new chain because even the slightest amount of wear on the sprockets will accelerate the wear of the new chain because the teeth will not mate exactly.

Life? I got 33000 miles out the OE chain on the 955 and the second one (also a DID X-ring) has now covered 32000 miles and I'm just about to renew that with another DID X-ring. I've run a Scottoiler from new and also a 19t front sprocket which I replace after 15000 miles from fitting the new chain. I always have the scottoiler turned up enough to get the chain nice and wet. IMO you either have a clean bike or a long lasting chain.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts