Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Bonneville currently worn out 17/43 with 102 link RK X ring chain. I just ordered 18/43 sprockets and 110 link chain. Should I be using a 102 length chain or a 104? How does one properly measure chain length?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cut it to the size you need.

Fit the new sprockets.

Move the wheel to "Full Forward" adjustment.

Lay chain in place & cut to the length you need.

You know it's right then.

(Yes, I once took information given as being correct......
Tried to fit a very slightly too short chain for a couple of hours.)

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
102 links?

That's interesting. The spec in the Haynes manual says 104 links, and that's what mine has.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Triumph shop manual says 102...but when I went shopping for a chain....evryone keeps telling me 104

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
I just looked in my Triumph manual and it says 102 links. But the original chain on my 2005 Bonneville had 104 links, and the Haynes manual says 104 links.

I've noticed that even with a new chain, the adjusters are positioned toward the back of their range. I wonder if the Triumph engineers changed their minds about the chain length between 2001 and 2005, and why?

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I just looked in my Triumph manual and it says 102 links. But the original chain on my 2005 Bonneville had 104 links, and the Haynes manual says 104 links.

I've noticed that even with a new chain, the adjusters are positioned toward the back of their range. I wonder if the Triumph engineers changed their minds about the chain length between 2001 and 2005, and why?
just to make things confusing my 865 T100 has 103 links with 18/43 sprockets

the genuine Triumph workshop manual states that for a 790 Bonneville/T100 sprockets 17/43 and 102 link chain

and for a 865 Bonneville/T100 states 18/43 and 102 link chain.

so I was confused when I counted 103 links on the chain and counted it several times to confirm, which was just as well otherwise would have cut it a link too short if I followed the manual. however there is plenty of room with the adjusters to accomodate different chain lengths

it stands to reason that if the front sprocket has more teeth the diameter is larger. therefore at the same centre distance one would expect an extra link. seems that the specs are wrong

if you have a new chain with a keeper clip it easy to first fit the longer 104 link chain and if you find it too long then just remove and cut out another link

measure the length by counting the links and multiply by the pitch

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I always tend to buy chains which I know are far too long, then cut it to correct size after offering it up to the bike.

In fact the DID chain I just bought last week is 114 links long!
And it turned out to be cheaper than the 104's which were being advertised as specific to our bikes!

Saves all the angst on how long it should be and whether Im buying the correct one.
And in this case saves me money too!! :D

Happy days!!

V.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts