Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done a search , couldnt find what I needed to know, I'm about to order the 17/45 tooth combination with a new DID gold chain, can anyone tell me what lenght of chain I need, and if I decide to go back to 18 will the new chain still be long enough.
I'm hoping for some mad ass power wheelies out of corners, should be fun.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Chains usually come in 120 link runs, so you can cut it down to the correct size. I went to 18/45 with 110 links, and have a 19T on the front now. So I would say 108 would do. 18/45 is a real good combo, and having a 17T on the front accelerates wear on the rubber protecting the swingarm. If you are doing it yourself, start at 110 links, and cut it more if you need to.

·
Registered
139 Posts
this is a plus 2 teeth setup correct? -1 in the front +3 in the back = 2 teeth gained

So +2 length for your chain.

I don't know what year you have but I think stock length is pretty much 110 or less double check for your year I am not a master of all that info.

When you cut and size your chain just leave enough room to add another tooth for the 18.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
18/44 just about fits a new 1050 stock length chain. 18/45 does not if the chain is factory fresh and unstretched.

So 17/45 will probably just about fit. If in doubt, get a chain with 2 extra links and cut it down to size if it ends up being too long.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies,
My Triple is an 08, not sure how many links are standard,
From what I've understood ,
If I go straight in and put the 17/45 I think I'd need 2 links extra,
but would it be long enough to go back to an 18/45 if the 17 was too hairy,or maybe chopped too much off the top end,
Trying to get the best of both, what I'm after is for it power up in second, the way it does in first, clutching up is no problem, but I think its cool to get it rising up when getting on the gas out of bends, I had a 7/11 Gixer streetfighter that used to do just that in the nineties.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
One more question guys , do I need an ordinary chain or a heavy duty item.
The OEM fitment DID530VM is a very good chain (also available in gold, if you are changing only due to cosmetic reasons). No need to go with heavier as the OEM barely stretches during 20000km.

I once tried a DID ZVM2 and it just ate the aluminium rear sprocket faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts