Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay team- I have almost 24K and I noticed a knock. I did a search and found another member with the same symptoms.
I replaced the DID chain and presto- smooth operation and no more knock. Is ~23500 miles average for a $138.00 USD chain considering average care? I mean I didn’t toothbrush clean it every 1000 miles.
Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a knocking in my chain after I allowed the wrong mechanic(?) to adjust the tension. Turned out he adjusted all the free play out of it. I didn't realize this for a 100 miles or so, and could only hear the knocking when moving the bike across the garage floor or at very low speeds, because the loud exhaust drowned it out at cruising speeds. Anyway, once I realized the noise was there and after much head scratching, I re-adjusted / loosened the chain, and the noise was gone. Of course, I only had 3,000 miles on my scrambler, not the almost 24k that yours has. You definitely needed a new chain.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Mine lasted 18K, bike was bought used w/ 7K...
I took care of it religiously, don't think the previous owner did...
It was pretty stretched and would bind when lubing, so it came right off the bike...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Crap, I may need a new chain. I've noticed a few links "binding" when I lube it - only has 13K on it?! I'm pretty good about lubing, although I did a 6K road trip and didn't lube for the first few days. Happy to say that I lubed just before the first real heavy rain on that trip.
I'm going on another 6K or 7K mile trip in June - I guess I should get a new chain? Necessary?

What's a real good replacement chain? Can I do it myself?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
the rk xso 525 is a good replacement chain at a good price. You"ll need 104 links but you'll probably have to buy it longer and remove links.

It's easy to replace the chain as long as you have a good chain press/breaker tool. I cut the old chain off with an angle grinder but a dremel will work too.

Try to clean your chain with kerosene, it might help the binding.

·
Registered
760 Posts
thanks

Thanks for the suggestion Sweatmachine. I bought the 120 link RK XSO 525 (I'll remove 16 links) and an "HP Tools Chain Breaker-Heavy Duty" which I have since read bends pins like butta...great! Sounds like my first chain replacement should be fun. Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, I don't have a grinder or a dremel, I'm going to try a hacksaw - it'll probably work, right?

·
30,525 Posts
Hacksaw should work. motionpro make a chain rivetting / splitting tool. You can get it from most motorcycle supply places, but it's all $$s that could go to your new chain and sprox of course.

·
Registered
760 Posts
the rk xso 525 is a good replacement chain at a good price. You"ll need 104 links but you'll probably have to buy it longer and remove links.
QUOTE]

For all the Scrambler riders out there, Bonneville's run 104 link 525s and Scrambler's use 106 link 525s. I was doing my duedilligence before swapping chains and noticed the difference in the shop manual specs (p.1.33).

I also bought an angle grinder today - thanks again for the info Sweatmachine.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
For all the Scrambler riders out there, Bonneville's run 104 link 525s and Scrambler's use 106 link 525s. I was doing my duedilligence before swapping chains and noticed the difference in the shop manual specs (p.1.33).

I also bought an angle grinder today - thanks again for the info Sweatmachine.
weird, wonder why the diff in chain length? Maybe cause the scram runs longer shocks and needs the extra length?

Have fun with that angle grinder! It'll cut through that chain (and everything else) like a hot knife through butta!

·
Registered
630 Posts
weird, wonder why the diff in chain length? Maybe cause the scram runs longer shocks and needs the extra length?
There must be a difference in the swingarm length between the scrambler and Bonnie's/Thruxtons. What other logical explanation can there be considering sprocket sizes are the same? I note that chain freeplay is less for the scrambler as well 20 - 30mm as opposed to 25 - 35mm.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just changed my chain last week for a fine looking gold-link replacement.

The OEM chain had only done 4500 miles but had suffered badly on the salt laden UK winter roads. Red-rust on the side plates doesnt look good on your pride and joy!!

I tend to always buy a chain too long, then you know it wont be wrong. Cutting off and removing the "spare" links isnt a problem.
Job easily done with the aid of a Dremmel and a Splitter/Riveter

Here it is, very dirty after a 300 mile ride.....

V.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chains that look cool

Ventura
4500 on yours makes me feel a little better about my 23500. What a sight- Is it a DID Gold X-ring? I settled for an OEM replacement. Yours surly looks- get up and get down.:p What does the rest of the bike look like?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Is it a DID Gold X-ring?
I settled for an OEM replacement.
Yours surly looks- get up and get down.:p
Yup, its a Gold X-ring but made by IRIS which is an alternative to DID.

The OEM chain had obviously suffered little wear after only 4500 miles, but it looked absolutely [email protected] due to the salty winter roads, and that was despite having a Scottoiler fitted.
Plus, if the outsides of the side-plates were corroding then the insides (where they contact the rubber ring seals) must have been too!
It just had to go!!

What does the rest of the bike look like?
Altho a little off-topic, it looks like this at the moment......

V.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts