Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup got a new chain this weekend. WOW its like a new bike. okay not really but certainly improved a whole bunch. the old chain looked nice on the outside but was seized here and there so the ride was crunchy . well not anymore . hurray. undoubtedly the best money spend in a while. probably should have gotten more than 20kms on the first chain but without a centre stand - my chain was left a little too long a little too many times.

·
30,527 Posts
Did you get an OEM one, or an aftermarket one out of interest? Just curious. Did you replace the sprox as well?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I don't have a center stand on either one of my bikes, yet I manage to adjust the chain. The Bonnie manual tells you to do it on the side stand. ?? I'm sure it feels like a new bike. I'm still sorting out what kind of chain lube I like best. The Bel-Ray Super (the white stuff) has attracted my attention and the dealer uses it, too.

·
30,527 Posts
Huh - I skipped over the non adjusting of the chain. Bad form! Both to skip over it and not adjust it.

Anyway - PJ I use the white Bel Ray stuff. It doesn't fling off everywhere. I'm likin' it. Just a bit of info for you to help in your considerations.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Chain Lube

I 1st when new used honda chain lube. What a mess. Didnt last very long as well. Went to chain wax. Put it on a warm chain @ nite & let soak & dry. The next AM- all is good to go!
No sling & I get 2x the time out of it! Only drawback is to clean it well every so often or it will make a build-up that is rather sticky & harder to clean. Thats where I am & thats where Ill be. Works well!!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I also want to know what kind of new chain you got. And the sprockets. I'm considering options for new chain and sprockets now, and it sure isn't easy.

My T100 does not have a centre stand, but is still fairly easy to clean and lube. Just roll it a little bit forward a few times.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
New Chain here too!

I also just put a new chain on (18k), the local dealer didn't have anything handy so went to the suzi dealer for their o-ring chain. I haven't had time to take it out of the garage yet, but looking forward to what I can only imagine will be a much improved ride! Sprockets were in imaculate condition, but will be replacing them the next go around, maybe a taller front....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I also just replaced my chain (again) and sprockets. My chains seem to last about 20K miles

Last time just the chain, as the sprockets were good (I know,..replace as a unit)
This time
I went D I D for the chain. used a stock 18 tooth front and stock rear. I had the sprocket so they were free. I actually like the stock 18 tooth front better than the after market ones. They cut the vibes down a bit and are a little quiter.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I slapped on a new chain recently. I only had 14K, but the old chain was binding and I'm headed off on a 7 thousand mile roadtrip in a few weeks. Per Sweatmachine's advice, I went with an RK XSO 525. It looks nice, although I didn't really need the 'bling' of a gold chain. but for $110 delivered, I'll live with the 'bling'.
I also started using a new lube - the Dupont Teflon All Purpose lube (safe for O-ring motorcycle chains). The bike's alot cleaner, since it's clear and basically looks like WD-40. The old black fling was a problem - I'm still wiping a little of the old spray-on greese off the rear end (starting to see the end of it). Also, this new stuff smells like shaved coconut - so I smell like I'm headn' for the beach alot. It's not outrageously expensive - under $5 for an 11oz. spray can at Lowes.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I just put a new DID gold chain on my bike .Its alot smoother old chain was starting to bind up.Sprockets still look like new though 18000 hard miles.

·
30,527 Posts
DID certainly make high quality chains. I don't think I've ever used anything except DID chains, but that's not a deliberate brand loyalty - more a case of what was available for a fair price at the time. I certainly have no problem in continuing to use them.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
probably should have gotten more than 20kms on the first chain but without a centre stand - my chain was left a little too long a little too many times.
:eek:

I'm guessing - hoping - that it should read 20k miles?

Anyway does anyone else check their cush drive? mine was very badly worn and I thing responsible for my chain suddenly going from hardly ever adjusted for the first 35,000km to being totally stuffed at 40,000km. This problem manifested itself by becoming very jerky at slow speeds

I just reckon it may be worth checking the cush drive every now and again :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The missing link!

I notice some people mentioning lube fling this was actually a requirement for chains pre O rings as it meant the lube was still moving about and working its way into the bearing surfaces.

I havent as yet changed my chain, 08 bonnie, i wonder why some people have gone to O ring chains as opposed to staying with the X ring. The X ring has much better sealing properties. Is there a big difference in price, or is it that the bonnie is so light on chains?

I use Bel Ray and had a harley rider come and insult the white colour, i just had to mention real bikes use chains not elastic bands.:cool:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Another DID user here, preferring the gold ones 'cause it's easier to see when they need cleaning. Having tried about all forms of lube, i always come back to the old racer's recipe: clean with kerosene (paraffin), lube with gear oil. I seem to suffer fewer frozen links. Yep, even with a good wipe, flings everywhere, but a wipe down with kerosene after the first ride puts it right.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm using the RK XSO 525 (x-ring). Great chain.. looks good too. As for lube I read a good review of a bunch of chain lubes on Web Bike World and they liked Klotz KLR so I gave it a try. Goes on clear and with a little time to dry I get no fling (and I've previously removed the chain guard). I don't see any reason to switch at this point.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/chain-lubes-2008.htm

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have fitted Gold X-Ring chains on both my bikes.

A DID on the Thrux and an IRIS on the Scram.

Both have been excellent in use and I'd recommend either.

The IRIS chain has retained its "gold" finish far better than the other tho.
The DID seems to have faded somewhat since it was new.

Oh, and for me, a Scottoiler is the order of the day!! :D
But thats an entirely different story!! :)

V.

·
Registered
2004 Thruxton
42 Posts
I'm looking at DID 525VX3 X-Ring chains to attempt the chain replacement on my '04 Thruxton. See there are different lengths, would anyone know if the 110 links would a fit as the spare can be removed? I see 104 somewhere but have to been able to confirm.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
according to my owners manual 112 links for Thruxton, America, Speedmaster and 104 for Bonneville

this out of a 2008 handbook, I would presume 2004 same

·
Registered
2004 Thruxton
42 Posts
Thank you. This is interesting. I was able to pull a Haynes manual and it states 104. Could it be that somewhere between ‘04 and ‘08 they went from 17 to 18 teeth and that might affect the chain length numbers?

edit: here 104 and 106 are listed. Seems numbers are all over the place.

The T2017210 kit from Triumph is 104 but I also find part numbers such as A9610009 which is 108 to add to the confusion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts