Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The Negative. This one in no way reflects on The Sprocket Center. The chain came coated in a thick sticky lithium looking grease that was near impossible to remove. Scrubbed as much as I could off of it before putting it on, and then with regular chain cleaner after it was installed. These things are meant to survive outside in the rain & elements, why does the manufacturer feel the need to put so much goop on it when a light coating of oil would have sufficed?

That is hardly a Negative unless you enjoy buying a rusty chain.
Next time, just mount the chain "as is" then use a rag soaked in WD-40 to wipe off the factory lube,
and apply your favorite chain lube.

Rex

·
Registered
369 Posts
That is hardly a Negative unless you enjoy buying a rusty chain.
Next time, just mount the chain "as is" then use a rag soaked in WD-40 to wipe off the factory lube,
and apply your favorite chain lube.

Rex
I think his point was that if a chain is meant to be out in the elements, then it shouldn't need so much of that donkey-snot on it while sitting on a shelf inside in a box. That stuff is a PITA to get off!

BTW, rode to Canada and back, 3k miles, no measurable chain stretch with the 520.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think his point was that if a chain is meant to be out in the elements, then it shouldn't need so much of that donkey-snot on it while sitting on a shelf inside in a box. That stuff is a PITA to get off!

BTW, rode to Canada and back, 3k miles, no measurable chain stretch with the 520.
Yes, exactly my point. a thin coating of regular machine oil (or what ever is best for the chains) is all that should be needed.

Overall point is that I'm happy with the setup and the service from Sprocket Center!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Changed my front sprocket to 19T today.. wow!

The difference is unreal, it's like having another gear to go on.

Very easy to recommend it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I am glad everyone is enjoying the 520 conversion. I have about 15K on it and everything still looks new. Actually I prefer the "monkey snot". Everyone has their own method of chain maintenance. I clean the chain with hardware store chain lube and let it drip dry. I then apply a heavy coat of spray white lithium grease...and let it drip dry overnight. My Chrome chain is white. It takes a really good rain storm or bike wash to wash the white off. Under normal wear and tear it lasts about a month. When the white is gone its time to redo. I use PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench Products. I am more concerned with function and durability then cosmetics. It works for me...

·
Registered
91 Posts
My T100 has almost 12k miles on it. If I were to change a sprocket size, would I need to replace the chain as well? I wasn’t sure if there was a concern with the two “wearing in” together.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
30K or 18,641 miles is just OK, chains are best for off roading but a 50 to 100 thou belt kit is the ****s, no adj after inital stretch, NO lubing + a clean rear wheel!!! only downside is initial cost + different ratios not readily available but cheaper in the long run!!!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
12K aka about 7500 miles sprockets should be good if properly cared for, but be aware of chain sizing as sprockets are changed. smaller front aka ONE tooth may be ok but smaller fronts stress chain more, going bigger out back is generally better. i don't know WHY posters on forums use K that is kilometers, being in USA the clocks read in MILES!!! unless you really mean kilometers!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
12K aka about 7500 miles sprockets should be good if properly cared for, but be aware of chain sizing as sprockets are changed. smaller front aka ONE tooth may be ok but smaller fronts stress chain more, going bigger out back is generally better. i don't know WHY posters on forums use K that is kilometers, being in USA the clocks read in MILES!!! unless you really mean kilometers!!!!!!!!
But they're British bikes and Britain has been metric since 1973. And, as sunofernest pointed out, K in this case means thousand without specifying a unit.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts