Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Great forum but haven't posted here for a while.

I have a 2003 Speedy since new and am considering getting another cruiser or sports touring bike but I'm not sure. I have a Goldwing so the Speedy doesn't get used like it used to.

The bike has 25k with the original chain and a 18 tooth sprocket for about 15k.
I'm going to change the chain even though it doesn't seem worn by pulling it from the sprocket. I want to know about sprockets.
It looks like the sprockets are fine. Should I change anyway?
Also, I'm due for a valve clearance check but the bike's running great.
Any advice? I'm not comfortable checking clearances... what does this check usaully run?

Thanks for your help,

cat

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read that the Valve lash check/adjustment is due every 12000 miles and that the dealership charges around 400 for this...

I plain to do my own.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi,

Great forum but haven't posted here for a while.

I have a 2003 Speedy since new and am considering getting another cruiser or sports touring bike but I'm not sure. I have a Goldwing so the Speedy doesn't get used like it used to.

The bike has 25k with the original chain and a 18 tooth sprocket for about 15k.
I'm going to change the chain even though it doesn't seem worn by pulling it from the sprocket. I want to know about sprockets.
It looks like the sprockets are fine. Should I change anyway?
Also, I'm due for a valve clearance check but the bike's running great.
Any advice? I'm not comfortable checking clearances... what does this check usaully run?

Thanks for your help,

cat
General Consensus[as opposed to my friend General Chaos:eek:] seems to be change the sprockets with the chain.The New chain should theoretically last longer.
I'd like to do my own valve clearances but I'm not mechanical enough.Apparently you need to check shims with a micrometer and shim to suit.My local mechanic says it's a couple or three hours job for him.With my ten thumbs I'd need a week.
It's expensive, but I'll leave it in a professionals hands.Depends on how mechanical you are I guess.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I do my own clearance and shim adjustments because it's ridiculous what the dealer charges and there's no guarantee that he'll do as good a job as I can. It only takes a couple hours and I'm no mechanic.

The performance wanes gradually as valves settle and wear in. You should at least get the check done. Ask them what the actual clearance values are if they're still in spec, the check will cost you half as much as an adjustment. Ask them if they drain the oil to do a check. This can be done without doing that.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
+1 marc.
My "dealer 12000 mi scheduled service" experience was unsettling, un-nerving and just plain mysterious. I'm not at all confident it all got done. Bike was in their shop for 3 weeks. The tapping sound coming from the cylinder head sounds the same as when I took it in and maybe that sound is normal (sounds lose to me). Look for propforward's thread on performing valve adjust. The smiley man is who I turn to next time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I waited until I had 24,000 then adjusted my valve lash they all needed adjustment. the Brits use shims to adjust the valve lash so you will need a micrometer and a set of feeler gauges. The procedure is straight up and easy enough to follow, but if you are using stock exhaust you will still hear the valve clatter even when properly adjusted. I am told air cooled engines require more clearence to account for expansion. I am not an expert on thermal dynamics but it makes since.

·
Registered
524 Posts
+1 marc.
My "dealer 12000 mi scheduled service" experience was unsettling, un-nerving and just plain mysterious. I'm not at all confident it all got done. Bike was in their shop for 3 weeks. The tapping sound coming from the cylinder head sounds the same as when I took it in and maybe that sound is normal (sounds lose to me). Look for propforward's thread on performing valve adjust. The smiley man is who I turn to next time!
I've been aware on several occasions that the Honda dealer who has worked on my VLX rarely completes the work that I'm charged for. I hope that I will not have bad experiences with the Triumph dealer who is about 100 miles from my home.

In March of 2009 the Honda dealer kept my VLX in their shop for almost a month, charged me $500 for the service they claimed they performed but when I came to pick it up I couldn't even get it started. They kept it another week, claimed it was a dirty carburetor and charged me another $300.

Similarly, my wife's car (a Honda Accord) was taken into the shop with a check engine light problem. They kept it a week, charged me almost $5000, and the day after we got it back the light came on again. We took it back in they called me that afternoon and said they needed another $9000 IN ADVANCE to fix the car. They did not offer a refund on the $5000, claiming that was another issue that was fixed.

Since you live in east Texas, ETx, maybe you'd be interested in helping raise a group to ride around Toledo Bend...

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I'm of the opinion that the average mechanic now, no longer repair vehicles, they're just parts replacers. It seems to me that if there's a problem they just replace parts until the problem goes away, regardless of whether the parts need replacing or not . . . and we pay for it all. This is the same for all mechanics, whether motorcycle or automobile, premium brand or economic brand. It seems no one has the know how or patience to properly diagnose a problem.

Of course not all mechanics are this way, but these days the good ones are few and far between.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts