Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've got an 2002 1200 in deep red and have had the rear wheel on and off a few times for tyres etc.

well today my footpeg was loose to i slacked the chain and just managed to fix it without having to remove the hanger which looks a mere to do!

anyway, whenre-tightening the chain i couldn't get the markers to line up as when i did one side the other moved and vise versa so i've now a well adjusted chain but the markers don't line up.

question is - is this an issue?

the wheel seems to be running true and i was riding fine on it this pm?

cheers for the advice / reassurance folks. Off on a big ride two up with tent tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The markers on mine don't quite line up either, but when I checked it with the strings it came up true.

Just a thought from the mindless void of the "village idiot": Jim

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers Jim but i'm not sure what you mean by this....

but when I checked it with the strings it came up true.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
OK, here goes (and it's simpler than it reads here). Tape a long piece of string to the middle of the tread on the rear tire so that there's plenty of it on each side to reach beyond the front tire; now, pull it tight around the tire and make sure it doesn't touch the centerstand etc. With the strings tight, tie them onto something to keep them that way; I use 2 wooden blocks with a nail in each to use as a post to tie the strings onto, then weight each one down so that they won't move on their own. Now, I adjust the blocks so that the strings are just touching the front sidewalls of the rear tire, then I check the distance between the strings and the 4 points on the sidewalls of the front tire (it being narrower, they can't touch that tire). If they are equally distant at those points, the rear and front are aligned; if not, then you adjust the rear tire accordingly. Having said all of this, a long straight-edge like a small piece of metal angle stock could be used as well, and it works by using just one side of the wheels; but.......the string and blocks take up a lot less room in my cluttered garage: 3 bikes, 2 battery tenders, assorted parts and bits (aka "junk"), riding gear, helmets and lawn & snow equipment.

The "village idiot" moves through the garage like a lame ballet dancer, you know: Jim

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi folks,

... i couldn't get the markers to line up as when i did one side the other moved and vise versa so i've now a well adjusted chain but the markers don't line up.

question is - is this an issue?
If you ride it and take your hands off the bars and it runs in a straight line, the alignment is OK. But - choose your moment ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my bars shake like mad when i let go! tank slap ahoy!

i've bought a second 12mm allen so i can move both sides together.... the string thing sounded like something i'd cock up easily

·
Registered
74 Posts
my bars shake like mad when i let go! tank slap ahoy!
Mine would have a bit of wobble slowing around 45-35 ish (depending mostly on fuel load, so weight distribution), but never severe. Suggest narrowminded might be right about the balance. Could even be rear tyre needs balancing.

the string thing sounded like something i'd cock up easily
I used straight lengths of timber, supported off the ground to brush the rear tyre and miss the centre-stand. I found that easier than the string (which I could never get taught and in the right place on both sides at once!).

Of course, I run a shaft these days, nothing to adjust:p (ducks rapidly for the expected dingbats being thrown :eek: )

·
Registered
485 Posts
Looks like we got off subject but mine was scary with out hands as it passed through 40(slowing). New front tire and no shake at all. Could have been a worn tire or just balance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeh, i'm having some new tyres fitted in a couple of weeks as i'm off to the south of italy on it soon via the alps etc so need at least 4k of tread.... currently the rear has half wear but 2 up with clothes and tent i can't see it lasting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts