Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another thread about chain adjustment - but. In my 40 years of owning bikes all but one has had a center stand (a dirt bike). I've always adjusted the chain using the center stand. Find the tight spot, do the adjustment, check and drive away. The T 100 doesn't come with a center stand, so the instruction and all of the treads I've read describe various ways to find the chain's tight spot while it is on the side stand, and making the adjustment with the bike on the side stand. Is there anything unique about the Bonneville that the chain can not, or should not, be adjusted on the center stand?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Sorry for another thread about chain adjustment - but. In my 40 years of owning bikes all but one has had a center stand (a dirt bike). I've always adjusted the chain using the center stand. Find the tight spot, do the adjustment, check and drive away.
The T 100 doesn't come with a center stand, so the instruction and all of the treads I've read describe various ways to find the chain's tight spot while it is on the side stand, and making the adjustment with the bike on the side stand. Is there anything unique about the Bonneville that the chain can not, or should not, be adjusted on the center stand?
At well over $200.00, many people don't want spend the $$ for the stand. I think it is an indispensable item.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
At well over $200.00, many people don't want spend the $$ for the stand. I think it is an indispensable item.
I agree. It was the only accessory I knew up front that I wanted, and had installed prior to taking delivery. IMO a chain-drive street bike should come with a centerstand. I think it's just a way of keeping cost down (and profit up).

You can adjust your chain on the kickstand. But, a centerstand sure makes it easier. Adjust your chain like you've always done and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
i think centerstands are a waste. too expensive, added weight and decreased clearance.for half the cost you can have a motorcycle jack, which is way more useful and versitle, or for the price of the centerstand you can have a motorcycle jack AND a swingarm stand.

·
Registered
471 Posts
12.5" 2X4 under the front center frame support bolts bracket for the front wheel, or under the rear swing arm bolt for the rear. Just lift and install. A little practice and you can do it yourself easily!

Jim :brow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts