Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this bike is a bar bolted to the swing arm area and then to the rear hub, left hand side,this was not there on my last Triumph?

Anyway I obviously have to unbolt this bar to adjust the chain,but if I tighten the chain the hub will move backwards, how will the bar still fit if it has two fixed points with no adjustment in the bar?

Thanks,Den

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi Traden,

You need to slacken the brake stay before you adjust the chain, the brake plate will rotate as you move the wheel back so the two points will always stay the same.

Webby

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Traden,

You need to slacken the brake stay before you adjust the chain, the brake plate will rotate as you move the wheel back so the two points will always stay the same.

Webby

Great makes sense now!

Wonder why there was no brake stay on my last 72? That had the quick release wheel not sure if this does as it looks a bit different!

Do I slacken it at both points?

Cheers,Den

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Great makes sense now!

Wonder why there was no brake stay on my last 72? That had the quick release wheel not sure if this does as it looks a bit different!

Do I slacken it at both points?

Cheers,Den
Hi Den,

Better to slacken both points as the end fixed to the swingarm will move a little.
If you had a QD (quick detach) wheel on your last bike, I would guess the wheel must have been off a pre OIF (it would be a nice modification) I'm not aware of the OIF models being offered with that option.

Webby

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep. Just slacken both nuts, adjust the wheel , tighten the spindle nut and re tighten both torque arm nuts. Re adjust the rear brake if necessary. Standard procedure on a lot of bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts