Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Norman Hyde Center stand came yesterday evening. I will install this week-end. I do not have a tech new phone but it does have a camera so will take a photo or two while I do it.
Product looks well made and the install looks straight forward......we'll see.
Oak
Would like to know if there are any drag issues while cornering....

·
Registered
61 Posts
OK, I installed last night. Sorry but was excited to do it and did not take any pictures. :frown2:
Install was easy and quick though. Took a total of maybe an hour and a half.
Had to remove the mufflers (stock in my case) to gain access. One note, on my 2012 America there is a bracket holding some anti pollution stuff right where you need to work. The bracket is bigger than it needs to be and impedes the center stand from mounting. All that is required is removing the bracket and sawing off the excess. Took maybe an extra three minutes.
Now the guys were sooooo right. Getting this cruiser up onto the center stand is bitchin' All the weight is forward.
However the trick mentioned earlier about using a 2x4 worked GREAT.
And I cut the 2x4 to a length I can wedge under the frame so that I can get the front wheel off of the ground too. So I can work on it too after it is up on the stand.

It was great to be able to easily clean the rear wheel chain side and work on the chain in a much more satisfactory way than I ever was able to do before.

This weekend I will go for a long mountain ride with lots of twisties so will report back on any reduction of lean angle I might encounter.
Till monday then.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
So this week-end I rode HYW 145 in Colorado from Norwood to Telluride then HWY 50 to Montrose and back. About 150 miles. This highway is famous for its scenery and twist as it follows the San Miguel river and Leopard Creek and then crosses Dallas Divide (11,000 +) pass. To say the least this road is curvacious. :smile2:

Now it should be stated that I am not an aggressive rider by and large. I will sometimes drag a floor board but not often and there is a reason I ride the America instead of a Bonney as I like to ride more laid back.
However for this discussion I rode about as aggressive as I am able to and never once did the center stand impede my lean angle.
Once back to the ranch it was great to be able to set up onto the center stand and EASILY and much more thoroughly oil the chain than I ever was able to do on the roller stand I have.

There is an adjustment on the center stand so that when it is up it does not touch the muffler. I found however that it tucked up to the muffler rather firmly and was best that way. Adjusting it so that it didn't touch the muffler allowed it "chatter" as the spring is then in less that optimum position to hold the stand tight. It would also hang a bit lower than the way I have it.

OK, there you have it a full report on the Hyde center stand for the America. (2012)
:vroom
Oak

·
Registered
53 Posts
So this week-end I rode HYW 145 in Colorado from Norwood to Telluride then HWY 50 to Montrose and back. About 150 miles. This highway is famous for its scenery and twist as it follows the San Miguel river and Leopard Creek and then crosses Dallas Divide (11,000 +) pass. To say the least this road is curvacious. :smile2:

Now it should be stated that I am not an aggressive rider by and large. I will sometimes drag a floor board but not often and there is a reason I ride the America instead of a Bonney as I like to ride more laid back.
However for this discussion I rode about as aggressive as I am able to and never once did the center stand impede my lean angle.
Once back to the ranch it was great to be able to set up onto the center stand and EASILY and much more thoroughly oil the chain than I ever was able to do on the roller stand I have.

There is an adjustment on the center stand so that when it is up it does not touch the muffler. I found however that it tucked up to the muffler rather firmly and was best that way. Adjusting it so that it didn't touch the muffler allowed it "chatter" as the spring is then in less that optimum position to hold the stand tight. It would also hang a bit lower than the way I have it.

OK, there you have it a full report on the Hyde center stand for the America. (2012)
:vroom
Oak
Gah I miss CO so much. :frown2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, I installed last night. Sorry but was excited to do it and did not take any pictures. :frown2:
Install was easy and quick though. Took a total of maybe an hour and a half.
Had to remove the mufflers (stock in my case) to gain access. One note, on my 2012 America there is a bracket holding some anti pollution stuff right where you need to work. The bracket is bigger than it needs to be and impedes the center stand from mounting. All that is required is removing the bracket and sawing off the excess. Took maybe an extra three minutes.
Now the guys were sooooo right. Getting this cruiser up onto the center stand is bitchin' All the weight is forward.
However the trick mentioned earlier about using a 2x4 worked GREAT.
And I cut the 2x4 to a length I can wedge under the frame so that I can get the front wheel off of the ground too. So I can work on it too after it is up on the stand.

It was great to be able to easily clean the rear wheel chain side and work on the chain in a much more satisfactory way than I ever was able to do before.

This weekend I will go for a long mountain ride with lots of twisties so will report back on any reduction of lean angle I might encounter.
Till monday then.....
When the bike is raised on the centre stand, can you access and unscrew the oil filter easily?

Also, is it possible to remove the rear wheel and swing arm?

I'm planning to install a belt drive conversion kit and need to know if I can do that with the centre stand alone, i.e. without a motorcycle jack.

Cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm still using a DIY wood block lift I built for my previous bike. It's adequate for chain maintenance but isn't really high enough to remove the rear wheel. If I was more serious about home maintenance, I'd get a real lift. For the road, there's AAA.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
When the bike is raised on the centre stand, can you access and unscrew the oil filter easily?

Also, is it possible to remove the rear wheel and swing arm?

I'm planning to install a belt drive conversion kit and need to know if I can do that with the centre stand alone, i.e. without a motorcycle jack.

Cheers
Yes. Although something like this works great for me compared to the cost and challenge of getting the motorcycle up on the center stand.
https://www.motea.com/en/constands-xl-black-incl-4-rubber-blocks-motorcycle-hydraulic-lift-322145

No. At least not without removing the rear fender at the least.

If you do the belt conversion please post a thread of the activity and your after conversion experience.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes I'd like to hear/see the belt conversion. I've read in threads on here prior that it can be pricey. Have been wondering if it still is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see few friends here recommending a lift for maintenance and also long term storage, thought I'd share something that happened to me.
I left my bike on lift last winter and it lost hydraulic pressure, came home to a laid down bike in the garage and damage.
If using a lift long term make sure it's a locking one

21 - 31 of 31 Posts