Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the centre stand back on my 140V (78) and can't remember which way the bolts go. I thing it is from the outside to the inside ie the nut is on the inside. Problem is that it seems really awkward to do this without damaging my newly coated frame! Am I right and if so any frame saving tips?

·
6,639 Posts
Hi,

putting the centre stand back on my 140V (78) and can't remember which way the bolts go. I thing it is from the outside to the inside ie the nut is on the inside.
Uh-uh, from inside to outside ... if you have the correct stand and bolts, the latter won't fit any other way because the pivot holes in the frame are 1/2" ID but the stand threads are 7/16"UNF.

frame saving tips?
Don't use standard bolts, even Triumph made 'em badly. :mad:

The 1/2" OD part that the stand pivots on isn't long enough (n) - it's supposed to be a little longer than the thickness of the frame lugs, so the bolts can be tightened into the stand thread but the 'shoulder' between 1/2" OD and 7/16" thread prevents the stand being tightened against the frame.

I have stand bolts made up with the 1/2" OD part not only the correct "longer than the thickness of the frame lugs", there's also a little extra for a standard 1/2" washer between the bolt head and the frame.

I also have my bolts turned from 5/8" AF hex. bar - Triumph and the pattern makers turn/ed theirs from 9/16" AF, so the head is barely bigger than the 1/2" OD for the pivots. :(

Finally, my bolts' 7/16"UNF thread is long enough not only to pass through a stand thread but also through a 7/16" washer (between stand and locknut) and out the other side of a (the?) standard self-locking nut.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

Uh-uh, from inside to outside ... if you have the correct stand and bolts, the latter won't fit any other way because the pivot holes in the frame are 1/2" ID but the stand threads are 7/16"UNF.

Don't use standard bolts, even Triumph made 'em badly. :mad:

The 1/2" OD part that the stand pivots on isn't long enough (n) - it's supposed to be a little longer than the thickness of the frame lugs, so the bolts can be tightened into the stand thread but the 'shoulder' between 1/2" OD and 7/16" thread prevents the stand being tightened against the frame.

I have stand bolts made up with the 1/2" OD part not only the correct "longer than the thickness of the frame lugs", there's also a little extra for a standard 1/2" washer between the bolt head and the frame.

I also have my bolts turned from 5/8" AF hex. bar - Triumph and the pattern makers turn/ed theirs from 9/16" AF, so the head is barely bigger than the 1/2" OD for the pivots. :(

Finally, my bolts' 7/16"UNF thread is long enough not only to pass through a stand thread but also through a 7/16" washer (between stand and locknut) and out the other side of a (the?) standard self-locking nut.

Hth.

Regards,
On my '78 140E, the head of the bolts are on the inside. From the factory. Doubtful that the 140V and 140E would be different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts