Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
apologies if this has come up before. I did a forum search a found a number of references to Tiger Centre stands but not bonnies.
I've a bonnie with a centre stand that still can be used but the stand does not kick up nice and tightly like it should when the bike is off of the stand. Seems as though the spring needs adjustment or something.
Anyone had a similar problem? Can you point me in the right direction to adjust this thing.
thanks
chris

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
MAybe a dumb question but have you checked the springs? I don't know of any adjustment on spring tension but there are two springs. One inside the other. Maybe the one on the inside is broken and isn't visible. If not new ones can't be that hard to find, even at an auto parts type place. Loosen up the nut that holds the stud that the "C" strap hooks over and it will be much easier to remove and replace the springs. Then tighten after springs are on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, appears to be something related to the "C" bracket as the springs seem to be fine. The C bracket is very loose side to side though. I think it's supposed to be a little loose to be able to pop it over the end of the cap on the end but how can I adjust it so there is less side to side play? Right now, the C bracket is hitting the silencer clamp bolt instead of clearing it.
how does that stud (that the C bracket pivots on) adjust?
chris

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
The stud/attachment point screws in. Make sure that it's tight. The C-bracket can be maneuvered by hand to foul the stuff around it, but the spring tension keeps it straight in actual use, if it was installed straight.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
There is a little side play in the "C" bracket when the stand is in the up position but still enough tension keep the stand up and the bracket from rubbing against the chain. There is no adjustment to the spring tension. You can try this. If you can easily take the springs off the stud, I would say that the springs have gotten weak or stretched. Mine were a b#@&# to get off, and I had to loosen the stud nut to get some free play in the stud to get them back on. I suppose you could drill another hole in the "C" bracket that would give the springs more tension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts