Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there's any reason to prefer the "Triumph" branded center stand vs. the Norman Hyde version? I see that Newbonneville.com has the NH stand about $30 cheaper than the Triumph price, is there any real difference between them? I'm used to paying the "Triumph Tax" for anything that's got the T logo on it but see no need to do so on a utility item like the C-stand.

Is the stand the same for the Scrambler as it is for the Bonnie/T100/Thruxton? I was wondering if the Scram stand might be a bit taller to account for the Scrambler's higher stance.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
No reason really.
I tried to put the Bonnie stand on the Thruxton, to discover it would not fit - and had to order the Triumph Thruxton version, which is slightly longer.
I also put Hyde classic silencers on the Thruxton.
Despite what Hyde say - that their exhausts work with the centre stand - the dealer had to fiddle around to get them to extend and retract properly.
So if you go for Hyde centre stand - get them to confirm in writing that they will:

a. work problem and installation free with Triumph silencers
b. as above with their own silencers

Nothing like pressing home the point!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The stands are different in so far as they have different stops. The Bonnie/ T100 stand stops up against the bottom of the muffler. The Scrambler doesn't have a muffler there so has a different stop (don't know how exactly) Ditto Thruxton as muffler is upswept. I do believe the Scram and Thrux are a little taller as well but not 100 % certain.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
So will the scrambler stand fit the thruxton?
Don't know the answer to that one. I know that I had to modify my T100 stand when I fitted the Scrambler exhaust as the stand came up far enough to hit the chain.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Keep your eyes peeled on Ebay. I picked a genuine Triumph stand for about $50.00 less than the dealer. It was brand new.

Also, there are several threads about installing the center stand,and some short cuts that realy work. Check em out...

Get a center stand though, ya gotta have one....

Cheers....

·
Registered
50 Posts
NH vs Triumph center stands

I can tell you this much: On my '98 Thunderbird, I installed the Triumph center stand. On the '08 T100, I have the Norman Hyde.
Both installed with the same effort and procedure.
IMO, the Triumph stand may have been a bit taller, as I recall the effort required to get the bike to go over center was higher on the T-bird than it is on the T100.
Of course, the T-bird may have been HEAVIER than the T-100 also, which would affect this also.
Since the NH stand is cheaper, and, from all that I can see, JUST as well made and sturdy, why NOT save the $$$?
Bob
Just wondering if there's any reason to prefer the "Triumph" branded center stand vs. the Norman Hyde version? I see that Newbonneville.com has the NH stand about $30 cheaper than the Triumph price, is there any real difference between them? I'm used to paying the "Triumph Tax" for anything that's got the T logo on it but see no need to do so on a utility item like the C-stand.

Is the stand the same for the Scrambler as it is for the Bonnie/T100/Thruxton? I was wondering if the Scram stand might be a bit taller to account for the Scrambler's higher stance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm going to be putting a center stand on this spring. I haven't made a decision regarding new wheels with the exception that the stock rims and spokes are a temporary thing. I was wondering if a Bonneville center stand will work with a:

1. 140/80 x 17 tire

2. 140/70 x 18 tire

or will it be too short?

Either way I'll be moving away from the stock size. Anyone have experience with a center stand and either of these tires?

Thanks,

Joel

·
Registered
153 Posts
Neither! Too much $$ for too little. Got a jack(lift) instead & can do anything w/ it!
Plus- no extra weight on the bike!! Oh yeah & 1 less thing to break.
But no good for adjusting the chain, or mending a puncture while on a run,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts