Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips on replacing the centerstand spring on a t140. I tried to find it on the archives, but couldn't. I know I'm not the first guy to fight this. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. :(

[ This message was edited by: okiecityflash on 2007-02-26 19:27 ]

·
Registered
110 Posts
I hope someone has an answer for you becouse I would like to put a center stand back on myT140V. Rod

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll tell you how I put the centerstand and spring on a '59.
Afterwrestling everyway in a civlized manor, I layed the bike gently on it's right side. I put the spring on the stand and frame, then I had better leverage to place it in the home position (when you ride). I worked both left and right side bolts alternating and using one hand to keep the stand in place.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure what the bottom of the t140 looks like but i also had some trouble getting the spring onto my TR6. Eventually I came across a tool that made the job a breeze. It was basically a small pipe with an inner diameter the size of the nipple on the frame. At the end the pipe is cut at the centerline and only a half crescent remains. This allows you to hook the one end of the spring to the stand and using leverage stretch the spring so that it slides right onto the nipple. It couldn't be easier once you get one. HTH

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
okie
install the stand with the spring "relaxed" stand up make/buy a tool that looks like a mini meat hook.
the only thing more fun on a T140 is the rear master spring :-D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Guys,
I use a Kwip Grip clamp and a few bits of wire. The Kwip grip clamp is like the chippies use to hold bits of wood together, a 24" bar and sliding trigger clamp. Turn the trigger grip around on the bar so the trigger actually spreads the jaws apart. Using two lengths of wire (a bit smaller than coat-hanger wire), mount the spring between the two jaws of the clamp. Spread the spring out using the trigger action of the clamp. You can either try to fit it directly (hard because of the size of the clamp), or use washers to "pack out" the spaces between the spring coils until it's long enough to take out of the clamp and fit it with the washers still in place (stand should be up). When fitted, put stand down and remove washers.

Pete

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just put one end of the spring in a vice and use a long 3 ft piece of 1/4" steel as a lever on my shoulder, and a block of wood at the other end to get the leverage. Then pack out each side of the spring with washers which will give you an easy job of fitting the spring.

·
Registered
367 Posts
tbs is ok ...this trick is the proof of superiority of intelligence over brutal strenght :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
ben

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
You might be able to find a brake spring pliers tool at a swap meet. It's designed for exactly this kind of use. I haven't tried it, but I believe it would work. NAPA also carries them, KD tools, I think. Works like a champ on automobile brake shoe return springs, some of which are ***** near as tough as the centerstand spring.
I detest the centerstand and so haven't fitted mine since I removed it 10 years ago.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You guy's make me feel like a dumb***! But, if anyone askes me how to do it in the future I'll tell them they don't have to lay the bike on it's side or be a Hulk Hogan to mount the spring. LOL

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx to all for the responses. Believe I can get it now. The only reason I'm putting it back on is to keep the chain lubricated. I've rolled enough Harley's oiling the chain. Okie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts