Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Everything's double in Cali, right? But I'd ask the dealer if you could see (the time in their book) for yourself. It does sound about double to me.

I had asked my dealer to install one on mine, before I came to pick her up. No labor charge, they installed for free! :cool:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Funny, quoted the same two hours for my center-stand also.....

took me less than a half hour, early in the morning, with a hang-over, in the cold, in the dark, and NO confidence in my ability.

I hate standardized labor charges for tasks, standardized responses to valid questions, standardized bull sh!t for bull sh!t. The reason we're taken advantage of in soooo many aspects of life, is because the WRONG people/business' are getting away with claiming victimhood. The "victims" anymore are people just trying to do the right thing..... and it's hard supporting your local dealership when there is NOTHING personable about "service."

Upside-down, and backwards I tell ya!

(an evening of alcohol had NOTHING to do with this post....)

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-17 23:22 ]

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Pat - I'll drink to that! Any dealer who doesn't have a mechanic that could install a centerstand in half an hour doesn't have a mechanic ....

Took me all of 30-45 minutes and one smashed fingernail, but I got it done. Two hours flat rate .......... where do they get off with this stuff? Bunch of money grubbin' (fill in the blank).

Bob

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm sure alot of dealers have a one hour minimum charge regardless of the actual time spent. Try having a plumber come out to your house for a 15 minute job and look at his bill!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Good point, Loxpump .......

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can see the 1 hour minimum billing time.

What I cannot see is 2 hours to do it. It took me and CarlS less than 15 to put one on his T100, and we put it on backwards and had to do it twice.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Thumper - Backwards? Now that's cool! I'm trying to picture how I'd put that on the stand. Good post!

Bob

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Not only did my dealer install my centerstand for free when I bought the bike. I've taken it there 3 times since they did my 600 mile service. Of course they got me for the going-rate on the initial service. But each time since, they only charge labor for the "actual time".

Just this morning, I had them replace one of my ceramic coated headers (another story). It took the mechanic about 50 mins in all. But he checked out the entire bike for me. Adjusted my chain a little, aired the tires to spec, etc. I also chatted w/ him a few times (as always) and he worked at a very controlled pace.

Half an hour labor is what they charged me. I don't mind taking my bike to have them install or service something, if I'm not sure I can handle it myself. I guess I'm fortunate that my dealer is still doing business the way they are. They're good people that I've grown to trust whole-heartedly. And I actually enjoy going there now and then.

Lone Star BMW & Triumph in Austin, Texas :upthumb:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Road Dog - your Triumph dealer sounds like my BMW dealer in New Philadelphia, Ohio .... Mathias BMW. Good folks, and conscious that their customers may ride Beemers, but don't have unlimited bank accounts. Hope they're around for a long time to come.

Bob

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Eng. Span - Good point - if the dealer charges 2 hours labor, I wouldn't use them. If they'll do it for 30 minutes labo(u)r, then maybe it's worth it. It's a balance between whether I want to do it for free, or if the dealer will do it for a reasonable price, in which caseI'll let the dealer do it. On the othe hand, if the dealer's price is outrageous, I'll do it myself.

My .02 worth.

Bob

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2006-11-18 17:43, ohiorider wrote:
Road Dog - your Triumph dealer sounds like my BMW dealer in New Philadelphia, Ohio .... Mathias BMW. Good folks, and conscious that their customers may ride Beemers, but don't have unlimited bank accounts. Hope they're around for a long time to come.

Bob
Hi Bob,

The "Iron Butt" Great-grandmother Ardys Kellerman that you posted about uses Lone Star for her Texas home base (but you knew that). I was fortunate to chat with her the last time I had my bike in there for service.

Remember this?This story put me in my place!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Two hours!? It too ME two hours, and I didn't know what I was doing and I work slowly and cleaned off the underparts of the bike while I was down there.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's amazing that anything gets done in this world. I guess too many businesses don't care about good service. They think people will put up with***** service and they are right.*****'em!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
It's an easy, fast job to install the center stand yourself. While you're at it, install a grab bar and a stock Euro-spec headlight switch at the same time. You can do all three jobs in under three hours. I'd estimate that the center stand alone would be a two beer job.

[ This message was edited by: tsmgguy on 2006-11-22 11:16 ]

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Why a "Euro-spec headlight switch"?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts