Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No way can I get my 15 XCX up an the center stand by myself. If one other person helps me, it is still a struggle. Is there a trick to this? Other motorcycles I have owned required very little effort to get on the center stand, without the anxiety of potentially dropping the bike in the process. Everything else about the motorcycle is great.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I grab the passenger peg mount and lift while standing hard on the center stand foot, sorta lift and roll back at the same time while standing on the foot. I'm not a big guy and I can get my XCx on the stand pretty easy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This was also a problem on the Sprint GT I had, here is what I use.

Get a friend to steady the bike while you practice this.

1, Bike on side stand.
2, Left hand on left grip.
3, Bring center stand down so that it starts to touch the ground.
4, Grab hold of one of the frame bars just above the pass pegs.
5, Put your weight on the center stand lever.
6 As the bike stands up pull with the right hand on the bar just above the pass peg.
The combination of weight and pulling with your right hand will increase the lift and it will pop straight onto the stand with little effort.

Once you have done this 3 or so times it will be second nature.

Steve.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
+1

I did initially find it harder to put on the center stand than my heavier Super Tenere. Once you get the hang of the technique it gets easier..

I grab the passenger peg mount and lift while standing hard on the center stand foot, sorta lift and roll back at the same time while standing on the foot. I'm not a big guy and I can get my XCx on the stand pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. What I found upon further experimentation was that I needed to push straight down on the center stand with my leg while pulling up on the passenger peg bracket. This procedure requires 80% leg and 20% upper body, instead of the reverse. Still, the bike is heavy, as well as tall. This makes for some potential excitement. One does need to practice this, as wisely suggested.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Thanks for the replies. What I found upon further experimentation was that I needed to push straight down on the center stand with my leg while pulling up on the passenger peg bracket. This procedure requires 80% leg and 20% upper body, instead of the reverse. Still, the bike is heavy, as well as tall. This makes for some potential excitement. One does need to practice this, as wisely suggested.
And hard-soled boots or shoes....:wink2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's what I found to finally work for me too. Rear grab bar is too far back and too high to be useful.

·
Registered
131 Posts
While my Bonnie does not have a center stand, my 1200GS does, and only 5'3 it was a bit intimidating to put it on the center stand at first, and rather hilarious if you were watching...

My trick was to make sure the ground is level where I put the bike on the stand, and as you said, I press down with all my weight on the center stand foot peg, while pulling the handle bar and seat up holding the rear grab bar.

it works.

I just have to be careful when I put it down again that the darn center stand does not whop me in the leg...
yes.. i learned from experience on that one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
While my Bonnie does not have a center stand, my 1200GS does, and only 5'3 it was a bit intimidating to put it on the center stand at first, and rather hilarious if you were watching...

My trick was to make sure the ground is level where I put the bike on the stand, and as you said, I press down with all my weight on the center stand foot peg, while pulling the handle bar and seat up holding the rear grab bar.

it works.

I just have to be careful when I put it down again that the darn center stand does not whop me in the leg...
yes.. i learned from experience on that one.
My previous bike to the Tiger was a 2009 GSA, it was much easier to put on the center stand the the Triumph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I struggled with this too until I decided that if Triumph insisted on having those annoying pillion peg frame mount points, then I may as well use them to my advantage. Piece of cake now.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Mostly it is an effort, but doable. Step down hard! Once the center stand starts making contact with the ground, that helps stabilize the bike from falling. It's usually the second try that gets there for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Tiger's centerstand definitely could use a design improvement. Most difficult centerstand I've ever used.

Putting the bike on the stand needs to be practiced with a helper to get confident in doing alone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had problems at 1st also, the best tip I have initially is leveling the bike on the the center stand before attempting lifting. This made it feel much more stable for me. I just learned if you pull back a little when lifting, it helps swing the bike up. This puts less pressure on your right leg (I broke mine in November and struggled until I learned this technique this week).

I know this was cover partially before, but I hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All,

Thanks for the helpful replies. Unfortunately, the real world scenario is a fully loaded bike with panniers, a small top bag, and a 2 gallon Rotax fuel containier, in a camp ground. Under these conditions, I have dropped the bike twice while wrestling with the center stand. Once on each side. As a result, both panniers are now loose. So now all solo efforts at getting the bike on the center stand are longer attempted. Bottom line: If someone is around to help me, I use the center stand. If not, the side stand must suffice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found a tip on my Goldwing that made all the difference. Both sides of the center stand need to be touch the ground when you begin the step and lift.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
All,

Thanks for the helpful replies. Unfortunately, the real world scenario is a fully loaded bike with panniers, a small top bag, and a 2 gallon Rotax fuel containier, in a camp ground. Under these conditions, I have dropped the bike twice while wrestling with the center stand. Once on each side. As a result, both panniers are now loose. So now all solo efforts at getting the bike on the center stand are longer attempted. Bottom line: If someone is around to help me, I use the center stand. If not, the side stand must suffice.
I can see where a loaded Tiger would certainly be an adventure to get up onto the centerstand. Unloaded, once you stabilize the bike on both feet of the centerstand, I don't have an issue now getting the bike up. Maybe it's me, but it's more of an adventure getting the bike off the centerstand, as it's a lot more top-heavy than other bikes I've had. FWIW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can see where a loaded Tiger would certainly be an adventure to get up onto the centerstand. Unloaded, once you stabilize the bike on both feet of the centerstand, I don't have an issue now getting the bike up. Maybe it's me, but it's more of an adventure getting the bike off the centerstand, as it's a lot more top-heavy than other bikes I've had. FWIW.
All,

This sounds very familiar as the fairly light Dakar doesn't want to go on its centerstand. I'm personally not light and it's not my first time around a squat rack or deadlifting, so it was baffling me as to why it was such an ordeal to get it on the stand. I hope the XRt will be at least a smidge easier. I appreciate all the advice on this thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also had trouble getting my 2011 Tiger XC onto centre stand and off also.
When trying to lift, there just did not seem to be a suitable point for my right hand to assist in the lift.
I adapted a lift handle from many BMW (sorry!) models and that helped a lot but still difficult when loaded up.
As for getting off the stand the bike used to slide all over my workshop floor so I reduced the angle of the centre stand and now that job is easy. What works for one person is not always the fix for others.

I am now unsure if photos have been loaded correctly.
I have never seen a forum where one must "drag and drop" before so I hope all is ok

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts