Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a center stand for my 2008 900 Scrambler and just didn't like it on the bike. I was considering the purchase of a paddock stand, but before spending the money decided to see how much trouble it would be to install the center stand in a temporary fashion when I needed to do maintenance and remove it afterwards. I was amazed at how quick and easy it was. The stand stop and spring are not used.

I installed the right side mounting bush with the provided lock nut. This bush will remain installed when the stand is off the bike.

When the stand is needed, slide the mount over the right side bush and install the left side bush finger-tight with a non-locking nut

Done.

Do the maintenance, take off one finger-tight nut and pull it off the bike for storage.

·
Administrator
3,096 Posts
Certainly doable as you have shown. I actually gave that some thought of doing the same when I first put my stand on. But thought I would give it a try and now I like having the center stand on permanently. Mainly just in case I want to use it in odd parking situations or I'm parked somewhere for quite a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had a Bonneville instead of a Scrambler, I might have kept it on. Without the low pipes, the stand is pretty ugly. Additionally, the upper travel stop is cheaply made and not very sturdy. I would have had to fabricate one from scratch to be happy with it. I'm happier without it, but it didn't occur to me earlier that it might be easy to install when needed and I wanted to pass that along in case someone has a similar need.

·
Registered
584 Posts
pretty good idea...

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I love my center stand and I'm keeping it on the bike, but if you don't like it and you have one, this seems reasonable. Just don't forget that you left it on there when you start up and take off. o_O

The bike takes up surprisingly much less space parked in the shed or garage with a center stand.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I do almost the same thing. Just put both bolts in when needed. Works a treat.

Jon

Reactions: beemerphile

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,707 Posts
Very clever!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts