Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question on a center stand....

Do I need to remove the side stand?

Am I right that the center stand does not have any igniton cut off?

Dealer said the center stand bumps/rattles against the exhaust...sounds odd to me....any feedback?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The centre stand is a great addition, even if it's way too expensive. Great for parking up in tight bike parks (like where I work) where you can avoid leaning the bike over, and for cleaning the bike and oiling/tightening the chain it's a huge help. I'm also pertty sure I can squeeze a bit more fuel into the tank if I put her on the centre stand when filling up. Definitely worth it in the long run, though like I said the price is a joke.

Oh, and I prefer the look of the bike sitting upright on its centre stand when I'm standing back for a good grin at her. Personal preference, that bit! :-D

·
Registered
10,707 Posts
Center stand is my second-most-important accessory, after tachometer. You can clean and oil the chain, add air to the tire, check the spokes, check and change the oil, etc. with much less effort. Also, the bike on the center stand takes up less space in the garage.

To confirm what was said previously:

No, you don't have to remove the sidestand. They co-exist, and you can use either one.

There is no electrical interconnect at all. (There's not much danger of your taking off with the center stand down.)

It should not bounce noticeably against the stock exhaust. Follow the installation instructions carefully, use the little rubber bumper, and install BOTH springs--one inside the other--unlike what has been said in another post on the subject.

It'll take some effort to install the springs. After multiple attempts, this worked: I grabbed the C-shaped bar--which attaches to the springs--with vice-grips and pulled (or pushed) it to its attachment point on the frame.

After installation, the C-bar looks like it could interfere with the chain, but it doesn't because of the tension on it.

By the way, don't worry if you see the rear wheel spinning in neutral while on the center stand, especially after a cold start. This is normal.

·
Registered
10,707 Posts
Sorry, my internet connection burped and submitted the above reply twice, so I deleted this one.

Marty

[ This message was edited by: Baltobonneville on 2006-11-15 12:44 ]

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I have had the center stand since I picked the bike up. It does not rattle against anything if properly installed. You do not have to remove the side stand. You are correct, there is no ignition cut off on Bonnie center stands. It is the best investment you can make on the bike . Makes it very easy to do chain maintenance and cleaning.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you still have trouble with the springs. Do what I did and keep the nut loose on the post that you hook the "C" shaped bar to. The hole in the frame is larger than the threaded end of the post and lets it move enough to decrease the distance you have to stretch the springs. Then tighten the nut.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
There is no electrical interconnect at all. (There's not much danger of your taking off with the center stand down.)
Baltobonneville, no, not much danger, but if it happens it'll probably be in front of some HD riders. It'll sure wind up fast. :roflmoa2:

I agree of the importance of a tach. In my recent MSC course I was asked by the instructor why a tach was important - I told him "So I can do my own tune-ups. You probably use yours for shifting". :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
10,707 Posts
I use my tacho mainly to figure out what gear I'm in, since my short-term memory isn't what it used to be. :)

Marty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

It seems that others have answered your question correctly but I will add to it. Regarding the exhaust rattle you will be fine with the stock setup. I can also say that you will also be OK with the MotoTwin mufflers as they also have the mount for the rubber bumper stop. That does not seem to a part of all the after market systems. Thunderbike in N.Z. sells a stop bracket as an extra cost part. So should you go and change the silencers to unsilencers at a later date check about the center stand stop and compatibility. Staintune states theirs is not compatible with the center stand and that may be the reason. And without the bumper/stop rattle would likely be an issue.

I had mine dealer installed at purchase so can't help on installation. For what they are they seem overpriced but as far as what they accomplish they are worth their weight in gold. They make some maintenance and repairs so much easier. Also they add quite a bit of stability. Although possible I guess, I have never seen a bike on a center stand topple over on it's own but have seen bikes on side stands topple when the stand sinks into the heat softened asphalt or soft ground.

One thing to note about maintenance on the side stand. . Don't check the oil while on it as it will appear to be low. and will be overfilled if oil is added to the indicated correct level in the site glass. It is not necessary that you know how I acquired that bit of trivia.

Bob

·
Registered
154 Posts
I should have added that the centre stand also works fine with the Norman Hyde Togas as NH advertises. No problems in that deparment if you get the stand and later decide to fit Togas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts