Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with the center stands being pretty difficult to find for the TBird and quite dear if you can find one, I've been thinking that a track stand would at least offer a stable platform for maintenance at home. Has anyone considered this option and found a stand that will work? The potential problems that I see are 1) no provisions for adding spools and 2) the exhaust pipes possibly being in harms way when the stand is used with the swing arm brackets. If anyone out there has any experience or advice on this I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
There's also one auctioning on ebay at the moment. Be interesting to see what it goes for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is it one of these you're think of?

Works great, stable and easy to use. The clearance of the exhaust is minimum with stock pipes on my bike. But still, for what it cost me it's a great tool to have.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I hate my center stand! can't use it without having to have a second person there to help. As soon as I find an alternative I am removing mine and selling it off.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I hate my center stand! can't use it without having to have a second person there to help. As soon as I find an alternative I am removing mine and selling it off.
I think they are all a bit like this stock - the rear is lifted a bit high off the ground with the stand. In your case, I'd hazard a guess that you also have a 150 section tyre fitted , not the 160 original because the 160 is only made by one or two companies now? The resulting reduction in tyre diameter makes things worse for getting on the stand.

One solution is to get some new suspension 'dogbones' made to lift the rear a bit. All you need is 8mm thick steel plate, cut to (roughly) the right shape & 12mm holes drilled at the right distance. With the bike on the stand, measure the gap under the rear tyre. I suggest 4 or 5mm will do as the gap to aim for. So, say you have 25mm gap, you might want to drop the wheel by 20mm. The ratio at the dogbones is about 4:1. You then want the holes to be 20/4 = 5mm closer to each other. (Yes, shorter dogbones>higher rear ride height.)

The part no. is stamped into the stock dogbones & I can give the hole centres measurements for these:

#2059470 177mm (Tbird)

#2059480 179.5mm (Legend)

(There might be some other part# for different years.)

Either way, dropping one off to measure up is easy enough. (Torque is 100Nm for the bolts.)

There's no worries at all imo concerning a change of geometry by increasing ride height this amount. If anything, the handling results are positive. Slightly more agile steering & less rear 'squat' under acceleration. These bikes have more than enough trail & wheelbase to accommodate these changes & more.

I'm doing this at the moment on my Legend for exactly this reason. When I fitted a ZX6R shock instead of the slightly taller ZX9R unit, the centre stand became near impossible to use (31mm gap under rear tyre).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine has the original rims from 1995 on her. I am so short I can't raise the bike any higher. I am actually looking to lower her or get rid of her for a shorter bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maxcap, if you do decide you are going to go the route of a swing arm stand and sell the center stand, I'd be interested in talking to you about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just run the front wheel up a small ramp made of a couple of planks screwed to one another. That will lift the bike a couple of inches and make it a lot easier to put on the centre stand.

I wish I had one on my '04 TBS, the bike is more secure on a centre stand than a paddock stand when doing any maintainance.

Be honest how many of you have had a bike fall over when on the main stand ? and how many on a paddock stand :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I wish I had one on my '04 TBS, the bike is more secure on a centre stand than a paddock stand when doing any maintenance.
I would love to hear how you would rationalize that statement.

Unless you have a really crappy paddock stand, it would have to be more stable as it is wider and has a much bigger 'footprint'.

FYI, I have a Steelhorse rear stand and some other brand of front stand.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just run the front wheel up a small ramp made of a couple of planks screwed to one another. That will lift the bike a couple of inches and make it a lot easier to put on the centre stand.

I wish I had one on my '04 TBS, the bike is more secure on a centre stand than a paddock stand when doing any maintainance.

Be honest how many of you have had a bike fall over when on the main stand ? and how many on a paddock stand :eek:
that would be a great idea, however I can barely touch the ground on this bike as it is (I am thinking of trading for a shorter bike) and if I did that I would drop the bike for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would love to hear how you would rationalize that statement.

Unless you have a really crappy paddock stand, it would have to be more stable as it is wider and has a much bigger 'footprint'.

FYI, I have a Steelhorse rear stand and some other brand of front stand.
That's easy. I have had a bike fall off of a paddock stand but I have never had one fall off a centre stand. :)

To be slightly more scientific - a centre stand is in the centre of the bike and bolted to it. As there is no method of fitting bobbins to a TBS the bike is just resting on a paddock stand and most of the weight of the bike is well forward of the stand.
A bike on front & rear stands I would guess would be a lot more secure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts