Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen a little chat about center stand vs. no center stand. I apologize to any one who has previously covered it this way. The bike did not come with one so I must not need it right? Technically no, but I prefer to do my maintenance with the bike upright and the rear wheel off the ground. I don’t want to pony up for the center stand. My motorcycle jack won’t work because there is no frame. I know the center stand can be a godsend if you have a flat or another failure on the road, but I will have deal with that another way.

Here is the solution that works for me when I am at home.

Total cost for parts >$5.00 us. 5/8 inch X 8 inch bolt w/nut, no washers, works perfect.
Just slide the bolt into the center stand mount from the opposite side of the exhaust and hand tighten. Remove when finished.

Once you have your squeeze box working and your bike is secure be VERY CAREFULL WHEN PLACING THE CUP FROM YOUR FLOOR JACK ON THE BOLT. My floor jack cup is just small enough to miss the OIL PAN and the suspension linkage. I saw some rubber inserts at the auto parts store for floor jacks plates that would work. I know it looks cheese but it works well and I don't plan on taking it with me.
Greg

Bike center stand 101.jpg

Bike center stand 002.jpg

Bike center stand 004.jpg

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Greg :) ,

I'm all for innovation, and appreciate when the person them self comes up with a solution to a problem (y)

But......a centre stand is such an important thing to have for everyday use. As you mention, it's invaluable when you have a flat, need to go on a ferry, cleaning the bike, inspecting the bike, maintenance, fitting and loading panniers, etc, etc..... ( I can think of a million and fifty four other things ;) )

A centre stand is great for a front fork / wheel removal and service.......how would you go about that with your set-up ?? :unsure:

Suppose what I'm sayin' is, in the most polite terms possible......get a centre stand !! :p

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
There is a lifting bracket specifically designed for the Tiger 1050.
6-JBQ-Tig1050 on jack left side 2.JPG
7-JBQ-Tig1050 on jack Wheel up Left.JPG
1-JBQ-Tig1050 hardware1.JPG

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Center stands are very convenient, especially if you're not in your garage...both my Tigers have 'em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts