Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a center stand for an '07 Bonneville Black and see that there are basically two choices-a Norman Hyde unit or the factory Triumph setup. Any thoughts on which is the better choice?

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I've got the Norman Hyde, and it works perfectly. Don't know about the Triumph one, but I can't imagine it works any differently. Get whichever you can get cheaper!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the Triumph one installed on my 2011 SE.Cost about $230.A little pricey but worth it when I was lubing my chain today.Not to difficult to get it up on the stand.Push down on the foot lever and pull up and back on with your hand where the passenger peg bracket meets the frame(the part that looks like a sideways V).Just make sure you order the right one for your bike.The mag wheel,Thruxton,T-100 all have different part numbers(different front tire sizes means different center stand lengths).Also different installation instructions for each.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I bought the Norman Hyde stand for my T100 only because it was cheaper, I think by about $100 at the time.

It was easy to put on but found it loosing up after a week or two.

Put some Loctite on it and good to go.

I use it almost exclusively.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
OEM Triumph center stand working perfectly.
Easy to use (after the first couple times til I learned the right method).

Knew I'd want a center stand so I worked in out as part of bike purchase at the dealer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got the Triumph one because it was added for free by the dealer. Works fine and is far easier to use than the PoS that was on my Suzuki.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I fitted the NH one, certainly makes cleaning and lubing the chain a much more enjoyable experience.
The only niggle is the supplied return spring, it's a bit weak and allows the stand to rattle against the stop when hitting any road bumps, so i'll be replacing it with a better one before the TT at the end of this month.

G ; )

·
Banned
268 Posts
The double spring was the only reason i went with the Triumph it has got to be stronger and not rattle

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I went with the Triumph one because it curls around the exhaust and is almost unnoticeable when up.
That is a good feature. Does someone have a photo to post of the NH centerstand installEd? Would like to see the difference.
Also didn't realize the 2 spring vs 1 spring difference.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got the Triumph factory center stand for my '06 Scrammie, but it rattles when I go over rough road. I know, even though it has two (strong) springs, it bounces down a bit and then bangs back up against the frame. I have solved it with the classic Little Black Bungie, but still . . .

Overall, I wouldn't own a bike without a center stand. By the way, if you can remember when every bike sold came with a center stand (except Harleys, of course), please raise your hand: you are officially 'old.'

·
Read Only
176 Posts
I got the Triumph factory center stand for my '06 Scrammie, but it rattles when I go over rough road. I know, even though it has two (strong) springs, it bounces down a bit and then bangs back up against the frame. I have solved it with the classic Little Black Bungie, but still . . .
Hi gt1jimi - Assuming that the design is similar to the Bonneville, I'm wondering if the little rubber bumper which stops the stand clanging metal to metal against the bike frame might be missing - just a thought ...

Mind you mine Bonneville has never seen anything other than regular road surface so I could be talking rubbish ;-)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
NH centerstand

Does someone have a photo to post of the NH centerstand installEd?
Mine doesn't rattle,..it stays in place very firmly for one spring. I'd recommend it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts