Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

just got my center stand via uPS today, and of course, couldn't wait to install it so i got right down to business. install went without a hitch, but has anyone else had issues with the rubber stop fitting onto BC predators? i see the pipe has the bracket thingy on it to take a stopper, but i don't see how i can get the one that came with the triumph center stand to fit in there? am i totally just over looking something, or do i have to order a special one from BC as i'm assuming the one that came with the stand is meant for stock pipes??

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
k after diggin around...

i've discovered that apparently these predators are SUPPOSED to come with the rubber stop for the center stand. now i had my dealer install these and order the pipes, and at time of install i didn't have the centerstand so they probably just kept it somewhere or chucked it. being that this was back in august, they probably chucked it. i'll call em tomorrow to see if maybe they ahve one lying around...

anyways, figured i'd get a head start, but if they don't have one lying around does anyone have a set of predators for a bonnie that they don't plan on installing a center stand on? if so, i'd be willing to take it off your hands for a couple bucks...

and as always, improvised methods are always welcome!

·
30,527 Posts
I transferred the small rubber stopper from the actual centerstand to the exhaust bracket. I didn't get any rubber stops or anything with my preds. I think any rubber knobby thing that you can get in there will work. :D

The centerstand kit does come with a stopper though, so you should have that, but it won't fit through the hole in the predator bracket. EDIT: See my post further on for a method to get the stopper from the centerstand kit to work.

I might see if I can find something larger at the hardware store.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
You'll have a hard time getting that stopper into the hole. Use water, WD40, or silicone to lube it, and lots of muscle while rotating it. Eventually, after the requisite amount of foul language, you'll get it in there.

If you want to satisfy yourself that it fits, ensure that the narrow part of the stopper is not wider than the hole it's to fit in.

For what it's worth, I believe that a mechanic should return all instructions and unused parts to the owner unless the owner says otherwise, but I know that's not how it works in the real world.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I transferred the small rubber stopper from the actual centerstand to the exhaust bracket. I didn't get any rubber stops or anything with my preds. I think any rubber knobby thing that you can get in there will work. :D

I might see if I can find something larger at the hardware store.
prop are you talking about that super small rubber stop that came with the center stand which the instructions said to place in the hole on the stand itself?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright cool so i moved that small rubber stop to the pipe, and it has definitely lessened some of the impact, good enough of a solution for now until something else comes about.

i noticed that on the right had side of the bike where the C bracket is, the foot of the center stand is only about maybe 3/4 of a centimeter away from the chain? i'm worried this maybe an issue when riding? i don't want the chain to rub against the stands foot obviously...

·
30,527 Posts
Good point. I'll look at it this weekend, though when I last looked at it I wasn't concerned. The maximum extension of shocks still keeps the chain clear of the stand I think, in normal riding you will tend to compress the shocks and move the chain further from the stand, but it's worth a look.

I am also on the lookout for a larger diameter rubber knobby thing to replace the small one currently being used. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so i switched that small rubber stop to the 2nd bracket on the predator. much better now, but i'm still not liking the amount of force the pipe is taking...i'm gonna go digging around tomorrow too.

oh yeah, i've also declared that it's impossible to get my torque wrench in there to check the bolts lol. if anyone actually did it to the specified torquing, please enlighten me haha

·
30,527 Posts
In am seriously considering drilling out the hole for the centerstand stop so that I can put a larger diameter stop on that bracket. Got to be careful not to drill the silencer though.....:eek:

I'll look at it again tomorrow. I think it's going to be dry, if cold, this weekend, so I might just get out for the first short test ride.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I grabbed some rubber bumpers off of cars at the local junk yard.
Got them from the trunk doors hood etc...and then tried different ones until I found one that works.

With the bike on the center stand, the chain can be very close to the stand and it won't matter...that's as close as it'll get.

·
30,527 Posts
Just a follow up. I used a stopper that a kind member sent to me - one of the Triumph stock centerstand stoppers I believe.

Anyway, what I did was cut off the bit of rubber that is supposed to poke through the hole in the Predator bracket. There is simply no room behind the bracket for the rubber stopper.

I then drilled a counterbore in the rubber stopper. That is to say I drilled a bigger hole part of the way through the stopper, but not all the way through. The hole diameter was chosen to match the head of a 1/4" screw that I had in my odds and ends. The hole is drilled roughly half way down.

You then push the screw into the hole, and the thread sticks out the other end. You put a half nut behind the bracket on the silencer with some threadlock on it, and then screw the screw up through the bracket, and into the half nut. Tighten it up, and hey presto, a nice stopper attached. This stopper from the Triumph centerstand kit is thick enough to hold the stand nicely away from the chain, without holding it excessively low.

You have to use a half thickness nut, becuase there isn't enough room behind the pred bracket for a standard thickness nut. A screw with a nice large wide head on it is a good choice. These kinds of screw and nut are easily found at the hardware store. There isn't room for a locknut anywhere, hence the use of threadlock just to make sure it stays on.

So there you are - a good solution. Not the way I had intended to do it, but it worked out. And cheers to Baltobonneville! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update!

so i figured out a new way as well. though i'm sure it's not as aesthetically pleasing as props, it may be a tad easier to find the supplies.

i basically took the stock rubber stop that came with the center stand, and drilled a hole through it horizontally.

i then put it up against the designated bracket that's on the preds, and ran a piece of chicken wire thru there, and then thru the hole i drilled. i then took the excess chicken wire and just wrapped it around the rubber stop.

lol stays in place great, the exhaust can't melt off the chicken wire, and u can only see if you get down on your hands and knees and go look at it haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts