Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 T100. I've had the engine light come on a few weeks ago. The dealer said it was the fall dection switch. They resest the error. My CEL has since come on three more times, each time going off after a few rides. The dealer is 130 miles round trip thru Chicago traffic with 8 tolls. Not exacty convenient.
So....I bot an OBD II reader from Amazon. Tried if Friday while the CEL light was on:

Turned on key
Plugged in OBD II reader
Scanned and indentifed error as Fall Detection
Accessed "erase" from OBD reader menu and got confirmed "erased" from menu.
Started bike but CEL is on!
When for a ride. After about 1 hour and short stop, CEL when out.

Never used an OBD Reader before,shouldn't the ERASE function turn off the CEL light right away? Did I miss a step?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That should have done it. You did cycle the key off and back on after clearing the code(s)?

Another option would be to use TuneECU (free) and an OBDII cable (as little as 10.00 on ebay) to do it. It has always worked perfectly for me on my Thrux to clear codes during all the shenanigans with the 944 big bore project I just went thru.... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
If the CEL comes back on it means the original fault is still there. It will show either:
Fault code P1631 "Fall detection switch low voltage"
Fault code P1632 "Fall detection switch high voltage"

Have a look around the wiring of the tip-over switch first, remove it and shake it about, the moving pendulum inside might be stuck.

Its two bolts are on very tight and locked with red Loctite so removing them is quite hard.

More about the switch here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/159232-fall-detection-or-tip-over-switch-on-efi-models.html

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response, Forchetto. I can't tell how much I appreciate your responses, not only to this one, but also the others.

I did cycle the key on and off, and re-scanned and got the same error several different times. Apparently, the OBD reader claims to have "erased" the error, but subsequent scans still identifies the same problem.

I thought maybe the engine had to run thru a hot/cold cycle to reset the CEL, eventhough the OBD reader claimed to have erased it.

I did remove the senor (mine was not that tight), tapped it with the handle of a large screwdriver, and also shook it abit.

The dealer thought the my Burton seat might actually be pushing down on the sensor (?), so I slightly bent down the bracket holding the sensor.

Weather permitting, I'll take the T100 out again soon and hopefully this problem is solved. If not, I'll contact the dealer about possibly getting a replacement sensor.

Thanks again for your response.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
The 3 cold/hot cycles will reset the MIL light automatically as long as the fault is no longer present. The ECU maintains the fault code in memory for 40 cycles. This is to enable dealers to identify faults that come and go.

Code readers/Scanners/software like TuneECU or Dealer Tool will force the light to go out and the fault erased straight away, providing the fault is no longer there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts