Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home yesterday I was hard into a fast curve when a heartbreaking noise started in the top end of the Tiger. I shut her down within seconds before I even got out of the lean and didn't dare try starting her back up. The tow home was a whole other gut wrenching affair and I was lucky to get the bike home in one piece but that's a story for later. After removing the cam cover and seeing everything seemingly intact I removed the plug nearest the cam chain and found the guts of the NGK completely gone including the electrode, tab and ceramic insulator. Now, after spending thousands of dollars on seats, luggage, crash bars,heated grips and every other accessory usually added to these bikes not to mention the bike itself and selling off most of my worldly possessions for gear to take off on an extended expedition, and just 7000 total miles on the bike, I have this to deal with.
According to the manual, the cylinder sleeves need to be removed whenever removing the head, which is a new one on me but I'm thinking they more than likely were damaged anyway so the special tool will need to be ordered but the shocker came when pricing the head at Bike Bandit ! Almost $2000 !! and not a sign of one on ebay or craigslist.
Anybody know of anywhere with more sane prices or used parts not priced more than the book value on the bike ? There is no way I can afford the shop or dealer labor, so I'll be tackling the job myself if and when I scrape together the money for parts.
Also, would the haynes manual complement my factory shop manual (as in any time and $ saving tips)or does the Triumph book pretty much cover it ?
By the way, the bike is a 99 885i Tiger that is like new with 7012 miles:mad:
Thanks for any help or advise.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
That sucks, sorry I can't help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were there other bikes that used the same motor as the 99-00 885i ?
I am bracing for the worst but things don't seem to be as bad as they could be. A friend had a bore scope and we looked inside the cylinder and the top of the piston doesn't seem too bad but can't get a clear view of the whole thing and no idea what the combustion chamber looks like on bottom of head. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the shim over the valve that ate the little pieces didn't do damage to the bucket it sits in or the cam and maybe I'll only need to lap the valves or get them ground.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so the part # for the 99-00 tiger head shows the same for a 97-01 Speed Triple which should help in the search.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found a head on ebite for $90 ! Now just need a cylinder sleeve removal tool and one of the valve tools from Mustang over on Tiger Triple, a few gaskets and other odds and ends and hopefully this wont hurt so bad.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
nice work hooligan. sounded way bad at first but you are getting it all lined up for much less money. keep us posted and good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts