Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered before" my iPad is on the blink and navigating the site is near impossible.But, I want to do an oil change and have had a hard time finding what oil most Tiger riders use. I purchased a synthetic oil (castrol synthetic 10W/40. Has anyone used this before? Is this a mistake or should it be fine? I have 47K on my 2006 Tiger and this oil is supposed to be good for high mileage vehicles. Also bought a Fram oil filter PH6017A. Don't have time to wait for the triumph filter to ship.

As always, thanks for your help and suggestions
Chris

·
Premium Member
Denver, CO United States of America
7,485 Posts
I use Castrol 10W-50 synthetic oil in my Tiger 800. You want to be using a motorcycle specific oil no matter what brand you use. Castrol's motorcycle oil is labeled Racing 4T and all brands will state on the label that it is motorcycle specific oil.

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys!
Mc specific. My manual said to use synthetic. I've never used synthetic before and just wanted to check and see if others had been using pure synthetic or synthetic blends? Think the fram filter will do the trick?
Chris

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I use Castrol full synthetic. And I wouldn't use a Fram filter on my lawn mower. Try K&N or Triumph. Sometimes I'll cross to a Purolator. The problem with Fram is they use a piece of bent metal for the bypass spring, quality filters use an actual coil spring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol!! Oh Jeezuz!!
Ok... That's a no on the Fram!! I'll see if I can locate a K&N filter locally. Love their air filters btw.

Full synthetic it is. The manual said 10W/40 or 15W/50 any preference?

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I use a 10w/50.

For you, I'd use 15/50 in summer and 10/40 when it gets cooler.

And I've seen K&N motorcycle filters stocked at places like Advance Auto.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking the tank off. Going to change plugs and air filter. Bike looks low on oil. I'll check the plugs and see wharves story is. Bike has been running poorly. Lack of power, slow to accelerate... I was thinking bad gas or clogged fuel injectors, could be coils... Not sure. I'll start with this and work my way back

·
Registered
71 Posts
Taking the tank off. Going to change plugs and air filter. Bike looks low on oil. I'll check the plugs and see wharves story is. Bike has been running poorly. Lack of power, slow to accelerate... I was thinking bad gas or clogged fuel injectors, could be coils... Not sure. I'll start with this and work my way back
Valves, this has valves all over it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So two of the three ignition coils are shot... Corroded.

Where is a reasonable and reliable place to order these parts? Is this unusual or common in the '06 Tiger 955i's?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Places like madss.com sell Triumph parts, you can also check bikebandit.com. I've also had luck with 2wheelpros.com. They have the (poorly-illustrated) fiche pics (must be a Triumph thing), and they tend to be lower than Triumph MSRP.

I've seen Triumph seats and Arrow exhausts, for example, at madss.com, that are well below MSRP. You might have to call or email to get the best price. 2wheelpros is good about answering questions (maybe I had more questions when I ordered from them compared to the others).

I would happily shop for Triumph parts at my dealer more often -- they are good folks! -- BUT they have to order the part most of the time but they can't have it drop-shipped, so I wind up paying full price for the part plus tax plus shipping (the dealership is about 4 hours away), and I wait 2x as long for parts.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hi,

I've always used Shell Advance 10w-40 fully synthetic for my 2006 Tiger, but I don't see why the Castrol wouldn't work as long as it's specifically for motorcycles ??

And as for filters, I always use a Triumph OEM filter as I've heard some of the others just aren't as good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts