Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a new Bonnie @ my local dealers Saturday and it had cast wheels. They were like 7-8 spoke if I remember correctly and I didn't really care for the design but I wonder if they would swap to a Thrux? Iknow the tire sizes are different but I can dream can't I?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I would say yes but no one's done it so .....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would want to know what the weight is first. The Thruxton wheel , while not actually light, (the hubs weigh a ton) is lighter than a stock bonne wire wheel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Weels,Wheels,Wheels.

I would say that one thing Triumph is missing out on is wheel options.
I am looking into getting rid of the spokes and I want to go to a nice set of mag's. I have only been able to find the Carozzeria mag's for aftermarket ,any one else with other vendors? it would be appreciated to get their information to look through.
I have heard that there may be issues with going to the 5" wide size rear tire ? any one with comments ?
Also for the big issue, should you go tubeless or not ? what are the benefits of tubeless over tube type tyres or vice -a- versa.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main point is the tubeless can be plugged "easier" on the road than tubed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's my problem, I am not a machinist and I don't know one either...compenent or one I could trust at least. My dilimma is what handling differences arise when you change from a 18" to a 17" wheel?

Nice looking bike, what kind of wheels did you shoehorn in?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
That's my problem, I am not a machinist and I don't know one either...compenent or one I could trust at least. My dilimma is what handling differences arise when you change from a 18" to a 17" wheel?

Nice looking bike, what kind of wheels did you shoehorn in?
The wheels and front end are from a Suzuki sv650s. The handling is much improved!

·
Registered
427 Posts
17 inch front wheels, lower the bike and quicken the steering, which for me makes a sweet handling package - Oh haven't Triumph just done this. Lol

I think Triumph are two years behind the revolution. Ha ha

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Quicker steering, which can be remedied by lowering the rear. Better selection of rubber. Lighter wheels, if for nothing else, due to lack of tubes. Lower unsprung weight.

One neg on the stock front end will be the mud guard will sit a bit high. Might look slightly motard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, I just happen to have an SV sitting in my garage. Of course my son would be pi$$ed when he found no wheels on his bike.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Wow, I just happen to have an SV sitting in my garage. Of course my son would be pi$$ed when he found no wheels on his bike.
Some machining was required to make it all work, if you want the specifics let me know. You should be able to find the wheels and front end cheap. I sold the bonnie take off parts for more than the sv parts cost me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
sure thing, here's a crappy pic for ya. Mini Tach in the middle, bicycle speedo on the left clip on (works great btw), idiot lights in the headlight bucket:

This is all about to change though...I have plans...and parts...more to follow!
Damn that looks good Sweat!! Two questions for you and I hope I'm not hijacking this thread:
1. Where did you get that headlight bucket with the idiot lights? Was it tough to switch everything over to make it work?
2. Is the brake fluid reservoir a stock item on the bonnie black or was it one of your kick ass mods?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Damn that looks good Sweat!! Two questions for you and I hope I'm not hijacking this thread:
1. Where did you get that headlight bucket with the idiot lights? Was it tough to switch everything over to make it work?
2. Is the brake fluid reservoir a stock item on the bonnie black or was it one of your kick ass mods?

Thanks!!
The headlight bucket was kinda a big project...It's a 5-3/4" headlight from Custom Chrome, I bought it on ebay for like $20-30. It came with the high beam indicator light already in it, but I drilled it out and installed the other 2 LEDs, got 'em from Radio Shack for like $4 each. Wiring it up wasn't bad, here's the original thread:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/77306-new-cheap-mod-5-3-4-headlight-lots-of-pics.html

The brake master cylinder is from a Rocket 3 for better braking power to my dual front discs. It's a bolt on for the Bonnies.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Weels,Wheels,Wheels.

I would say that one thing Triumph is missing out on is wheel options.
I am looking into getting rid of the spokes and I want to go to a nice set of mag's. I have only been able to find the Carozzeria mag's for aftermarket ,any one else with other vendors? it would be appreciated to get their information to look through.
I have heard that there may be issues with going to the 5" wide size rear tire ? any one with comments ?
Also for the big issue, should you go tubeless or not ? what are the benefits of tubeless over tube type tyres or vice -a- versa.
I am using the Carozzeria wheels and can't say enough about how well they work. They reduced 23 pounds of weight. I am running a 170 in the rear although a 180 would have fit. The tubelees tire also helps reduce the weight. I don't think the rear needs to be 5.5 inches. However that is all that is offered. Other than expense, I see no negative effects from their use: only MUCH better handling

·
Registered
616 Posts
Quicker steering, which can be remedied by lowering the rear. Better selection of rubber. Lighter wheels, if for nothing else, due to lack of tubes. Lower unsprung weight.

One neg on the stock front end will be the mud guard will sit a bit high. Might look slightly motard.
who you callin' a motard?

;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts