Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 40 years of not bothering, two weeks ago I put the spare key into the small zippered pocket on the tank bag. Good thing! There I was last Sunday, about to lead a dozen Triumph RATs on a 270 mile round trip to Chehalis for the spring RAT lunch meeting (Thanks to Soren of TRAP for setting that up!). Everyone ready, engines running...can't find the key. Mad searching for a few minutes, and then I give up - can't keep the customers waiting - and use the spare. Ride all day with this nagging in the back of my mind. Must be in the tank bag. Maybe I put it in the tail bag. Maybe the restaurant will find it.

Get home and go to clean the bike. Take off all the bags and SEARCH. No key. Resigned, I begin to spray off the bike. Guess what?

If you drop the key just right, it will hook on the little radiator support tube on the right and stay there for 270 miles. It will not be noticed, even by 50 -70 Triumph enthusiasts strolling by the bike.

Wouldn't recommend carrying your spare there, however.

Cheers!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sound Advice! and a good reminder!

I, too, carry a spare on my main key set in my tail bag always.

Closest ive come to your situation was leaving the key in the seat lock.
******n felt dumb after that one. Took me a good 5 minutes of panic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That was a fun ride. My first RAT gathering and met some good people. Only got lost 3 times on the way down, but we found some nice out of the way roads :rolleyes: Glad to have been a part of it thanks to all the organizers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Geez, I thought you were going to say you broke your key somehow. Whenever I pop the seat on my S3 I always feel like I'm having to twist that harder than I'd like :eek:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Day 2 on the S3 and I could not get the "key hole" which I presumed was for the seat to do anything. Turns one way, and the other. Nothing. Noooow I know.

On my bike it helps if push down on the back of the seat when turning the key... alot less strain on the key.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Carrying an extra key is always a must. I have my extra one hidden in a secret location.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another help with difficulty in turning the key is to occasionally hit it with some WD 40 or whatever and work it in the lock. Both the fuel tank and seat releases on mine need to be lubed once in awhile, especially after a long cold winter where the bike is ridden less often or ridden in the cold and wet.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
A friend of mine broke his key off in his ignition way up in Northern VT a few summers ago. His GF had to drive 5+ hours up from the Boston area to deliver the spare. Thanks to him, I always bring my spare with me.:cool:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've got the key fobs for the Datatool alarm. I accidently dropped mine into a tub in the garage that had some old oil and brake fluid in. Got it out quick and cleaned it up. About a week later turned the key in the gas cap and the fob disintegrated, breaking into about 6 pieces! No effort at all. Had to borrow some insulation tape off the cashier to lash it back together until I got home and got the spare.
As a side note, anyone know if you can get a fob from datatool? Don't need the circuit board, just the casing

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if tis the same with datatool, but I have had this issue with my car's fob and they would only sell me a complete new fob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts