Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new 2002 Sprint RS 955 and started refuelling then quickly realised I was putting in Diesel. Drained it all out and refilled with unleaded petrol but it now won't start.
Any advice would be very welcome

Thanks

Roger

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
I would try blowing out the lines, you probably didn't get it all just dumping the tank. Shouldn't have done any permanent damage. Maybe clean off the plugs, too.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I would pull the plugs and dry them off. See if that gets you going. If you've got diesel in the fuel rail, it might be a good idea to remove the return line and turn on the key to turn on the fuel pump and pump that diesel out of the fuel rail. It will be a messy job. Be careful. A hose slipped over the end of the return line you removed routed to a container would be a big help. After doing that, and it's reconnected, you might have to clean the plugs a couple times until all the diesel is out of the system.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Just be thankful this wasn't a diesel and you put gas in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again

Not having worked on these Triumphs before and I haven't got a manual yet, what's the easiest way to access the plugs - tank off then ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Yes, the tank must come off, as does the airbox.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
RogRs welcome to the forums of TriumphRat:)

For useful info on various procedures on "how to" tech stuff, this site has a "Tech blog" section and also we have in this forum at the top a "Maintenance Tips and Tricks" sub forum.

Enjoy the forums
cheers
DaveM:AustralianFlag

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
We've all done something silly - I used to have a Suzuki :eek:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Only on my 4th bike in 15 years.

'89 Yamaha XJ600 in '96
'97 Bandit 1200 from '97 to '01
'00 VFR800 bought new in '01. Owned until '09
'09 Sprint from '09 until present

The Bandit had a great engine and by far the best gearbox although the finish wasn't great.

The VFR was the best of the 4. it just felt far more complete than anything else I've ridden before and since. I still rue the day I sold it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts