Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two posts on the right of the carburettor have always looked like they were missing something. One appears to be a ground terminal while the other one is a receptacle of some sort. I pulled my side covers off today and found the missing wires. They were tucked up under the air filters.

The carbs were rebuilt before I took ownership of the bike and I am hoping they were just left off after the mech. put everything together. What function do these parts serve? I have not noticed any difference with performance but I do not know any better also. The bike has around 700 miles on it with the terminals left off.

The picture shows a spot on the bottom circled. Disregard that please. The area in question is just to the right of that.

Carburettor Picture

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Looks like the carb heaters , only come on below 10c approx 45f to stop carb icing. probably wouldn't notice any difference unless you ride in cold damp conditions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the carb heaters , only come on below 10c approx 45f to stop carb icing. probably wouldn't notice any difference unless you ride in cold damp conditions.
I can see why they were unplugged now. I'm betting this bike was garaged during the winter months.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
carb heater and throttle position sensor

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
carb heater and throttle position sensor
Forgive me for not knowing too much about non EFI bikes, but what exactly does the TPS do in terms of fuel delivery? It has been unplugged for almost 700 miles and I have not had any issues.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Forgive me for not knowing too much about non EFI bikes, but what exactly does the TPS do in terms of fuel delivery? It has been unplugged for almost 700 miles and I have not had any issues.
Not sure why the TPS has been mentioned as it can't be seen in your photo. Was it removed or just unplugged? It does nothing in terms of fuel delivery, but feeds a throttle position signal to the ignitor which uses it to vary the ignition timing accordingly. I disconnected mine once to see what effect it had and I struggled to notice any difference. You might as well reconnect the heaters on both your carbs as they do no harm and might be useful if you ride in conditions where carb icing occurs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The two were just left off of the carbs and tucked out of the way. The bike was probably intended to be rode very little by the previous owner. The carbs were rebuilt before I took delivery to make sure everything was in working order. (it sat for a year or so) Everything is all plugged in now so I shouldn't worry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts