Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2004 Bonneville is running rough at idle and stalls completely when given any amount of throttle. Going through my Haynes manual it would appear to be a fuel/air mixture issue or a carburetor overhaul type of job. Either way the manual warns to not do it unless you know what you’re doing. I definitely do not know what I’m doing.

Any carburetor gurus out there have any advice on if I can complete these jobs myself with some motivation or should I really pay someone else to do it?

·
Registered
Bonneville Black 2011 customised 904cc, 11:1, 813c cams, 44mm Street Triple TBs , TEC 2 into 1
732 Posts
So my 2004 Bonneville is running rough at idle and stalls completely when given any amount of throttle. Going through my Haynes manual it would appear to be a fuel/air mixture issue or a carburetor overhaul type of job. Either way the manual warns to not do it unless you know what you’re doing. I definitely do not know what I’m doing.

Any carburetor gurus out there have any advice on if I can complete these jobs myself with some motivation or should I really pay someone else to do it?
I quests first question is....did this issue just happen or bike has not been run for a while?

If not regularly ridden could be just stale fuel .....it appears from description when opening throttle stalls indicates possible fuel starvation...running lean so I would recommend you check air intake manifolds and vacuum tubing to ensure no leaks before you do anything .

All the best of luck finding a solution...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I quests first question is....did this issue just happen or bike has not been run for a while?

If not regularly ridden could be just stale fuel .....it appears from description when opening throttle stalls indicates possible fuel starvation...running lean so I would recommend you check air intake manifolds and vacuum tubing to ensure no leaks before you do anything .

Oh wow. The fuel is 6 or 8 months old as it took me a while to replace a tire lately. You think that could be the issue instead?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh wow. The fuel is 6 or 8 months old as it took me a while to replace a tire lately. You think that could be the issue instead?
If you left the bike for a period with fuel in the carburettor float bowls it's almost certain that caused the issue you now have. On my 2007 I always turn the fuel tap off and run the engine till it stops. That way the carb float bowls are empty. And over winter I dose the fuel tank with stabiliser, brimming the tank to the very top, to minimise contact of fuel with damp air.

·
Registered
Bonneville Black 2011 customised 904cc, 11:1, 813c cams, 44mm Street Triple TBs , TEC 2 into 1
732 Posts
I would drain fuel from tank and if possible carbies, refill with premium higher Octane petrol which is usually higher quality, and if runs ok go for a ride and maybe even a fuel cleaner additive just to ensure fuel system is clean of degraded old fuel

I hope the fuel is the issue and is resolved soon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts