Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you who have read my other posts know, I laid my bike down a while ago and I am getting into the repairs.

I didn't fire my bike up for a while, so I was letting it idle to recharge the battery. I stepped away for a few minutes, and when I came back there was a considerable amount of fuel on the ground. I shut the bike off and wasn't able to identify exactly where the leak(s) came from. It's hard to judge how much fuel was lost, the stain on the concrete was about 1 foot by 2.5 feet. Maybe half a quart at most?

Part of the damage in the crash was a bent outrigger (footpeg/clevis mounting bracket), which has the fuel tank breather tube and carburetor breather tube clipped into it. To keep those tubes away from the exhaust, I had them tucked into the frame facing upwards (rather than downwards, which is their normal position). When I untucked them, maybe a 1/4 ounce of fuel poured out of them.

Here is my dilemma. In order to find out where the fuel was leaking I need to fire the bike up. However, I have read that if the carburetor is leaking fuel, its possible that fuel has mixed in with my oil. Obviously I do not want to run the bike if that has happened.

Is there a way to get some oil on my finger to smell it to see if it smells of gas? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but it seems like removing the oil drain bolt is the only way to actually get at the oil, and I don't want to drain it. I tried removing the oil filler cap and sniffing, but it smells too much like fuel around the bike in general to tell.

What would you guys do in this circumstance?

Thanks for the continuing help, this community has already been a huge help on some of the other problems I am dealing with since the crash.

- Paul

·
Super Moderator
2,251 Posts
Be certain that the breather hose coming off the "T" connector between the two carb bodies is not plugged or pinched. It should be facing down as to not hold any fuel trapped in it from the crash. If that vent tube is plugged you will have fuel flooding back into the air box and out any and all places possible.
I doubt you have fuel in the oil, I suspect it is either a stuck float or pitched vent or plugged vent tube causing the over flow of fuel.

Hope that makes a little sense and can possibly help.

·
Registered
915 Posts
"I suspect it is either a stuck float or pitched vent or plugged vent tube causing the over flow of fuel."

These would be my guesses, too. I'd check the floats first.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Float Drop = This shows me flow I turn the petcock onto prime (if vacuum assist)
Float Level = This shows me how close I am to shutting the fuel off or I look at the float line and carb line is horizontal and off.
Float UP = This closes the float needle and no leak should occur or I have debris between needle and seat.

As stated, I push a thin long something down into the crankcase level, pull the implement out and the oil should act like water and drip oil like it's going out of style, not one big blob hanging on the tip. Make sense gas thinning out the oil?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My '82 Yamaha XT550 has dual carbs that spit gas out of the carbs if I don't treat it right.

It's usually a needle and seat issue fixed with a good cleaning (a good cleaning!) and when I had the parts handy, the replacement of the needle and seat. One year the tang on my floats needed adjustment but in my case when my carbs leak it just needs a cleaning.

I think it's time you got to know your carburetor.
Google cleaning and replacing a needle and seat on a motorcycle carburetor.
Buy needle and seat spares. I'd buy new floats as well. What the hell, buy a refresh kit for your carb that includes new gaskets.
Then take the carb off your bike, take it apart and fix it. (look on youtube for advice) It's fun.

When you put it back on your bike and it fires up and doesn't leak anymore you'll feel like a million bucks.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts