Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm starting to think about some new wheels for the bike and in searching the forum i found some references to carbon wheels but could not find anyone who has made the switch...is that true? ...is there someone hiding out there who has dropped the cash for this upgrade?

Some of the questions i have is about "fitment" of both wheels. I don't know the sizes of the wheel that i would need to get in order to make this a 1-1 swap. Is there another bike that uses the same size wheels?

I have found a few sites but this is the one I liked best. Let me know what you think.
http://www.blackstonetek.com/products.php

thanks,
JS

·
Registered
35 Posts
Along this same line, I would like to know if there is much of an advantage of the carbon fiber wheels? I realize that they are much lighter and would reduce the unsprung mass, but does anyone feel that they are worth the money?

Just curious.

Klotz

·
Registered
150 Posts
Along this same line, I would like to know if there is much of an advantage of the carbon fiber wheels? I realize that they are much lighter and would reduce the unsprung mass, but does anyone feel that they are worth the money?

Just curious.

Klotz
If you're racing or building a show bike then ya, knock yourself out.

They look super cool, and you WILL notice a difference in acceleration, but for a daily driver on some of the roads we have to deal with I could see them being damaged quickly.

Not saying that the quality is inferior, but take into the consideration the condition of your roads and how they even beat up metal wheels.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

Just curious.

Klotz
I agree with EvilSprint and would add that, "worth the money"? is all relative to how much cash you can drop. Where I live in the economic stata, there's no way I could/would buy them.

My riding level is no where near the limit so I would not be looking for that extra performance edge considering the price, and especially not on a bike that is already limited in the areas of suspension and possibly braking for those into serious sport riding.

Perhaps my logic is faulty but, seems like overkill on the Sprint.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great wheels for racing and "go" but same issue as cars - hit a pothole, replace it. The problem is carbon fiber will delaminate rather than deform - so you can't repair them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been researching this mod for over a year now. So far, I've found one dealer/manufacturer in the UK who say they can provide fitment for my '02RS. I've also heard from some that the US made CF moto wheel has proven to be better than the UK made-- I think its more about the cosmetics and design look (BST) than anything.

Having said that, and aside from the money, I am aware from my sports car and bicycle racing days that lightened wheels and, for that matter, drive train components and any other unsprung parts or those with rotating mass, will always improve performance in several ways-- acceleration-yes, braking- yes, cornering-yes, in the case of cycles-flickability, etc.

Crazy though it may be, I've always enjoyed holding on to vehicles that I find comfortable in terms of fit and ergonomics, opting to continually upgrade their performance rather than just trading out every few years. I've done this with cars and bicycles and am now doing it with my RS. In its case I think its strong suit is its engine and drive train-- all the power I'll probably ever need, and very streetable as well. So, I'm not reluctant to keep improving its performance, comfort, utility, etc. The bike just suits me that well and I've not developed any lust for any other, as yet, and its been 7 years.

So, in general, if you're going to invest in performance improvements anyway, lightening components makes sense and can sometimes be more cost effective than trying to improve power. Doing this with a dedicated track bike makes more sense perhaps, but what the hell.

One must be careful with CF moto wheels though to be sure you can fit up all the components your wheels will need to interface properly with the rest of the bike-- rotors, axles spacers, cush drive, etc., etc. In addition, you might as well go with a 520 chain/sprocket kit while you're at it and keep in mind the reduced service life of those components. If you like to go to the track, then all this makes a little more sense than if you're essentially a road rider only.

In fact, the argument can easily be made that for a given amount of money spent, attending track days and improving your riding skills may make you and your bike faster than all the exotic gizmos ever would. Personally, I'm interested in some of each, but that's just what happens to float my boat. I guess I'm prepared to take all the ribbing that might accompany my riding around on a middle aged sport touring bike with a pair of hot wheels.

Perhaps those of us who are sufficiently interested could lobby for a group buy out of this forum-- the times are good for that since I've seen upgrade wheels selling lately for pretty good discounts due to the slow markets. And, a group buy could be ideal since many would be seeking wheels built specifically for our bikes which might be attractive to the fabricators as well.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I personally like anything carbon fibre. The issue I have with the wheels is that carbon fiber does not bend and Michigans roads are notoriously full of potholes. Hit one on an aluminum wheel and it may tweak it but that can be repaired do it on carbon and there goes $1500.

Also I'm not certain the average rider will be able to take advantage or even notice the difference in the wheels. Basically if your tires still have the michelin man than you don't ride hard enough to warrant carbon wheels.

That being said, its your bike and you $$ so spend it as you see fit. But I beg you to post pics once you get them installed!!!:D

Also I am 90% positive that the Daytona Speed Triple and Sprints all used the same front wheels from 99-04. Decosse can correct me if I'm wrong as usually I don't recall.

And the rear wheels are the same for any of the SSSA triumphs made.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My opinion only but, I would sooner drop the 3 grand or so on an Ohlins front fork. The forks seem to me to be the weak link on these bikes. Forks and a rear shock can transform the bike like no other modification. If, at a later time, you want to go for some super wheels, at least you will have the adaptability to take full advantage of them.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
My opinion only but, I would sooner drop the 3 grand or so on an Ohlins front fork. The forks seem to me to be the weak link on these bikes. Forks and a rear shock can transform the bike like no other modification. If, at a later time, you want to go for some super wheels, at least you will have the adaptability to take full advantage of them.

My opinion only but the biggest weak link on these bikes is the nut behind the handle bars.:rolleyes:

FWIW I wouldn't touch a CF wheel in a pink fit for a road bike.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I appreciate RSRAT's comments which I think are fair enough (check out the cruiser forums and the amount of money people spend on chrome bits that do nothing except be shiny is staggering) but really lets not kid ourselves that the Sprint will ever be Gixxer, 'Blade, or a 1098 no matter what we do. It was never meant to be anything else and I reckon to overdo the custom sports stuff will take the dignity away from this majestic beast in much the same way spoiler kits and ultra low profile tyres do for comfortable sedans and station wagons.

But then if you think it's cool - knock yourself out.;)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
IMO worth every penny that most of us can't afford. Probably the single best performance mod you can do, to any bike. Your bike will handle and toss about MUCH better at ALL speeds, and accelerate and stop better too. And they are much stronger than alloy wheels and less prone to pot hole damage. And of course they look great.

If you can afford it, GO FOR IT. Anyone who has ridden a before-after CF-wheeled bike knows. It feels like you dropped 50 pounds off the bike.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
IMO worth every penny that most of us can't afford. Probably the single best performance mod you can do, to any bike. Your bike will handle and toss about MUCH better at ALL speeds, and accelerate and stop better too. And they are much stronger than alloy wheels and less prone to pot hole damage. And of course they look great.

If you can afford it, GO FOR IT. Anyone who has ridden a before-after CF-wheeled bike knows. It feels like you dropped 50 pounds off the bike.

Until you hit a vicious pot hole at 120kph and then it's not quite such a wonderful choice.:confused:

IMHO good for a track but not Australian roads.

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Let's face it, if you are looking for CF wheels and Ohlins forks and shocks for this bike, you bought the wrong bike. If you want to do it for looks and customization then go for it but for performance, well.....

You should of bought a 05 Daytona 955i and put some conti bars on it or a made a GSXR 1000 more touring oriented than trying to make the Sprint more sport orientated.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
1,2,3 DaveM and Calli. This is one of those (why) questions. If you want to do it fine, it's your bucks. But the saying comes to mind, "you can gilt plate a turd but you will only end up with a shiny piece of dung.

Not saying that Sprints are but I very much doubt that only a few (very few) here would ever be able to tell the difference and or utilize that difference so with that it gets tossed in the bling bling category AFAIC.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I agree with Cal, Don, Dave, and ExKellick re the CF wheels on a Sprint.:ThumbsDown:Waste of money.

But not to worry, I think the odds would be on my side if I said that no one on this forum is going to do it. We have a lot of people asking about exotic parts and accessories, but nobody ever actually does it....they just talk. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
to BLING or not to BLING

...that is the question, right?

So, there is a guy i work with that is HUGE into racing (duc 1098R, i hear it's/he are quite fast) and he happens to have a set of BST's. They are beautiful and when he got the box he thought it was empty. He also explained some of the issues of owing these wheels:

1. No one wants to touch them. He had haul the bike a long way to find a shop that would even mount them and still had to sign an If-we-chip-these-its-not-this-shops-fault form...interesting.

2. He did chip them and took them to multiple CF shops to get repaird. Once again the shops didnt want to touch them for structerial reasons. Ended up sending them back to South Africa where they are actually made. The shipping alone was astronomical and the repair didn't turn out all that great.

3. Once chipped, BST does not certify structure but will tell you that the the X-Rays you paid for after the $500+ repair look "good." (this doesn't include shipping)

Long and short of it is, if i hit the lottery i might get the CF wheels, (i might get a team Duc 1098R bike also while i'm at it) but for the riding that i do and the $$ they cost it's probibly not going to happen.

thank you all for your inputs and if the lottery cashes in i'll post pics, may even quit my job and ride around the country showing everyone who wants to see them on a Casp Blue 1050 Sprint. They are great looking wheels but not good enough for me to "Harley" bling my bike with aftermarket parts showing other people how cool i am.

JS

·
Registered
120 Posts
all the foregoing comments underscore why I've continued researching (and fantasizing) about a set of BSTs, but not actually buying them.

my research suggests they'll hold up as well if not better than any other wheel on the road and that they will, in fact, make a noticeable difference in performance and handling. (I've actually experienced this on other bikes, as well as cars, etc.) However, once damaged, you're looking at a different proposition from the oem wheels that you can still source cheap and/get repaired pretty easily.

nevertheless, I'd probably only do it if I could find a smokin' deal, and then, readily admit it's not very consistent with the kind of bike I have. Of course I have already gone over the entire suspension and upgraded everything (and, would not have paid the prices for Ohlins, btw). I got pretty good prices by being patient- Penske rear, RaceTech kit front, etc. I think I'm just intrigued at how much better I've been able to make an already good bike, just by following some of the better advice I've gotten right here, from Dolsen, DaveM and many others.

as for any further mods-- the wheels would be it, since I'd never mess with such a good mill and imagine you'd get as much real world improvement from the wheels as you'd ever get from engine mods- and probably cheaper and with less potential for complications.

that said, I agree it would be pushing the edge of what's reasonable, if not sane, in terms of investment. sometimes its just part of the fun to wonder and, if you can muster the funds, and have genuinely good guidance, have a go in spite of what the critics say. (who hasn't seen "World's fastest Indian" and had a few emotional quivers, eh?)

·
Registered
120 Posts
oops, sorry Dolson (not, Dolsen).

this thread reminds why they call CF, Italian chrome. :) tho when it comes to wheels, I'd say its far from chroming up a HD (never could understand why anyone would want to make their bike heavier.)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
...Not saying that Sprints are but I very much doubt that only a few (very few) here would ever be able to tell the difference and or utilize that difference...
Wow dolson, that's not speaking very highly of our forum members. Have you actually ridden a bike with BST's before/after? I'm sure you know forum members better than me, but I'm giving them more credit than that.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I hope no one is offended by the anti CF comments.

In the end they are your bikes and you can do whatever you like. I bet they would look beautiful. My only point is that if you do something like this do it for looks and the point of customization and having something unique. Going out and doing this for the sake of performance is really just silly.

:beerchug:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts