Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to change the speedy. After all it is 07.
Off to the dealers I go only to be told they dont want it with all that carbon fiber crap on it. We dont like that arrow system do you have the standard ones.

Most of it came from the Triumph dealer hugger front guard chainguard etc. "its a very narrow market" not many people would want BHS Carbon Fiber wheels with Braking discs "I cant offer you anything for them".

So far ive been offerd £1000 Im very very lucky to find anyone who wants them.

Dealers give you a crap price.But they want you to leave on some parts like bobbins tail tidy hugger etc. To sell the bike.

Yes I know they have to make money but I dont like beeing taken for a fool.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Salesman trick. Leading you to believe that wthat you have on it hurts or adds no extra value to the bike. They shoot it down and hope you will break down and sell it to them at their offer price. I had something like that happen to me and when I said that I would take off the offending items they said that any offer they will give will only be valid for as it is befor them. Don't fall for.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like garbage to me. I'm an independent dealer in the auto/motorcycle industry and I can't imagine using those unprofessional tactics to lowball someone on their vehicle.

Fact is, everybody would want to own a Triumph with (dealer distributed) Arrow exhaust over one with stock exhaust unless the aftermarket pipes were overly loud for their tastes, which by the way, your Arrows are not.

If you come up with a reasonable asking price for your bike, I'm sure you can sell it privately. Then, go to the dealer and beat the crap out of them on your new bike purchase.

They're using your trade as leverage.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree with above posts. The bike is only two years old and already has some of the mods that a lot of people make. You could do much better selling it yourself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I fully agree! You should be able to get a lot more for it by selling it outright. But, if you really want to trade it in, I'll trade you some stock parts for some of your really awesome parts, to help you "increase" the value of your bike...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Have you kept all the standard parts? You'll always sell a standard bike quicker than a tricked up one. I'd just take all the after market gear off and put it on ebay. You'll make more in total that way whether you sell the bike private or to a dealer.
How much do you want for the wheels?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Salesman trick. Leading you to believe that wthat you have on it hurts or adds no extra value to the bike.
They don't add much, if any. In the car world, most buyers when they see one at a dealer will ask if you can put it back stock. Other buyers won't consider them. In almost every case, a bike with a lot of mods (beyond the typical slip-on, etc) sells much slower than a bone stock bike.

What the hell is the average person I going to do with carbon fiber wheels? Is your average rider with a bone stock bike going to rate those? No. The value to them is zero, unless they could sell them, and then they have to go through a hassle and buy new ones. Not worth it.

Only the true performance mods will add value, the value they add will be far less than what you paid for them, and only those mods that this individual buyer is interested in will add value.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you have the original parts, you can salvage more money by selling the bike and aftermarket parts separately.

A car with a lot of aftermarket parts will have a lower trade-in value in the mainstream car market. You have to find a specific buyer for your customized car who values the modifications in the same way you do. Same is true for your motorcycle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Typical salesperson ********. What you have is worth nothing, but if it were ours, it would be worth a mint. Sell outright and buy elsewhere :)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Carbon wheels are one of the best performance mods you can do to a bike. But the average idiot buyer won't know that. If/when I sell my bike, I am going to put it back as close to stock as possible and sell the nice bits for almost what the stock bike is worth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with everyone on here so far. You're getting a lot of good perspectives from people and it sounds like you have a couple of buyers for your aftermarket sheet too.:)

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I have to agree with the salesman. Not all mods are good for everyone.

I'd prefer a bone stock bike over Mike's bike, mainly because none of the mods are mods that I would do myself. The changes would only make the possible resale at a later time more difficult, but are of no benefit to me.

If the bike comes with stock parts, then it is a different matter.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have to agree with the salesman. Not all mods are good for everyone.

I'd prefer a bone stock bike over Mike's bike, mainly because none of the mods are mods that I would do myself. The changes would only make the possible resale at a later time more difficult, but are of no benefit to me.

If the bike comes with stock parts, then it is a different matter.
True, but some parts do add value, factory items and exhaust especially. Dealers will barely give you anything for them. Typically 30cents on the dollar at best... if your lucky. Always better to take them off and resale them yourself, you will get more. Just don't show up with them on. I did have an exprience where they obviously wanted my parts but acted like they wern't worth crap until I said I would come back with OEM parts on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Beauty - and its perceived value - is only in the eye of the beholder.

The simple truth is that the market (already somewhat narrow for Triumph) becomes even narrower to find someone with similar custom tastes and therefor it becomes harder to sell, especially if a premium price is associated with those featues.

That's the harsh reality of it.

To realize some return on the investment, it probably makes sense to offer out the custom parts on a sale/part exchange basis for OEM parts and return the bike more closely to OEM.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The simple truth is that the market (already somewhat narrow for Triumph) becomes even narrower to find someone with similar custom tastes and therefor it becomes harder to sell, especially if a premium price is associated with those features.
That's all there is to it.

At my old workplace we had a classified ad system, and a guy was trying to sell his reasonably priced 3 year old GSXR 600 (i also saw it on craigslist) for months and months - maybe a year or more. Why couldn't he sell it? It was obvious - custom paint job. It wasn't poorly done, it was probably professional, but the black with silver flames was obviously keeping the bike from selling. I was in the market but I wouldn't have dreamed of buying that thing.

Maybe some kid who wants to do wheelies on the freeway in flip flops and an Icon t-shirt would pay more money for that paint job, but that's about it. To most buyers, it's a huge turnoff to have a bike changed radically from what they are expecting to see.

Besides, a bike is a canvas of your own to work with. You don't want to just buy someone else's work and live with it. You want to make it your own.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys the BHS wheels and front discs are all i have left. Everything went with the bike.

In hindsight I should have put it back to stock as most parts were never fitted and were still in thier orignal wrapers.

The next one is only getting a hugger.

mike

edit: Should have read BST WHEELS. im typing one handed after throwing my 900 up the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts