Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new here, and I apologize if this question has been asked and answered already. I'm about to buy a Bonneville and am choosing between a slightly used 2007 and a new 2009. I plan to take a road trip this summer from roughly sea level up to 11,000 feet in Colorado. If I get the bike with carbs, will I regret it? How easy is it to adjust carbs as my altitude changes? To complicate matters, I hope to use part of the trip that goes from 1000 feet up to 11,000 feet, as part of a 1000 mile Iron Butt run. If I have to stop to fiddle with the carbs, I might not make it in the allotted 24 hours. Any advice? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
EFI automatically adjusts. It has the sensors in place to adjust for altitudes.

As faqr as the carbs go I think you would be ok too but the bike may seem a little anemic at the top of your 11,000ft.

As far as adjusting goes I am not sure what you can do. You may have to fiddle with your mixture screws but they are really for only idle and below 3500 rpm. You cant really sway out your mains with any accuracy on the side of the road.

That being said I don't think you will have any real problems.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome. Keep us posted on your Iron Butt ride...
I ride my carbed Bonnie from 2200 to 10,000 feet w/ no problems...
EFI will not give you any problems in elevation changes. I'm sure.
Buy it, which ever...
CVK diaphram constant velocity carbs O.K...
No problems w/ my old ones...

Direct throttle smooth bore carbs better yet...

EFI will not let you down when your up in elevation...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts