Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After taking my carb apart, and finding it to be surprisingly clean, I am having an issue reassembling it. I cannot get the spring back on straight. Every time I close the cover, the spring bends to one side or the other. This impedes the piston action, so I obviously need to get it in straight. Any hints or tricks?

EDIT: While removing the petcock to check the fuel filter, the filter managed to fall off and is now inside the tank. Any help on correcting this as well would be great.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Firstly buy a claw on a arm to get the fuel filter. Secondly you have not seated the needle and needle holder correctly in place. The needle holder is the white plastic bit with 5 legs. These legs must not cover the air hole in the throttle slide as it wont seat and will sit too high. Hence the spring folding over. Do a search for the jenks bolts tuning guide. This will help lots.

Chris.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As soon as I read '5 little plastic LEGS' it all clicked in my mind. I had the plastic doohickey the other way, so it looked like a crown. I flipped it over and it went on like a charm! Thanks, Chris!!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Glad I could help.

Chris.:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have managed to rescue the fuel filter from the fuel tank with the aid of my wife and a spring-loaded claw thing.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Couldn't you just hold it upside-down over your head and jiggle it about? I do this every time I lose a pick in the sound-hole of my guitar.

:)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Couldn't you just hold it upside-down over your head and jiggle it about? I do this every time I lose a pick in the sound-hole of my guitar.

:)
I couldn't get the screen to come out the filler hole when one came off inside the tank from my tap. I had to shake the tank until the screen appeared near the hole where the tap goes and pull it out with some tweezers (forceps). It took a few goes to get it out (and a lot of foul language).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts