Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just brought a 20-year-old Hinkley carb Bonnie with only 5k on the clock.
It’s got a bit of a misfire below 3K, so I took the carbs off and cleaned them and that's made it a bit better but not 100%.
My pal suggested it could be the coil pack so I've ordered one and brought his old TOR pipes off him.
I'm going to change the jets to 120 as (should work better with the TOR's and I was wondering if there's any guides or videos on setting up the carbs? Even if it's just to get it in the right ballpark. I've got a balancer but the rest needs to be done old school - by ear.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,845 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I have posted on the other thread :)

Although there is a VERY slim chance of the boss breaking it has happened so like any insurance you have to way up the pros and cons . It is a RELATIVELY cheap way to insure against a wrecked engine . I fitted one to my 2004 T100 and also to my 2008 Scrambler ( even though in theory Triumph had fixed the problem on the 865 engines ) Whilst in there it may be worth replacing the clutch springs with slightly stronger ones . Urban legend has it that Triumph fitted borderline springs to keep the clutch pull as light as possible . For the small extra cost I did this as well ,

Phil

·
Registered
16 Posts
As I have posted on the other thread :)

Although there is a VERY slim chance of the boss breaking it has happened so like any insurance you have to way up the pros and cons . It is a RELATIVELY cheap way to insure against a wrecked engine . I fitted one to my 2004 T100 and also to my 2008 Scrambler ( even though in theory Triumph had fixed the problem on the 865 engines ) Whilst in there it may be worth replacing the clutch springs with slightly stronger ones . Urban legend has it that Triumph fitted borderline springs to keep the clutch pull as light as possible . For the small extra cost I did this as well ,

Phil
Thanks Phil. More good advice. I reckon that I will fit the TTP Safestart to both of mine as well. Might look into the stronger springs. My 2007 bonne has a slight (very, very slight) shudder on clutch release. So this could be the problem. Any ideas where to get just the slightly stronger springs. Cheers Janz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Phil. More good advice. I reckon that I will fit the TTP Safestart to both of mine as well. Might look into the stronger springs. My 2007 bonne has a slight (very, very slight) shudder on clutch release. So this could be the problem. Any ideas where to get just the slightly stronger springs. Cheers Janz
I used the dreaded eBay . You want EBC CSK 015 clutch springs - other purchase places are available :)

Phil

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Barnett "green" springs, slightly stiffer than the OEM springs. You can order them from TTP with the Safe Start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts