Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
[EDIT]

I've got to learn to make my calls BEFORE posting.

I just found an unlikely source for Keihin CVK float bowl O-rings and new needle valves.

/M

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
The ZRX Kawasakis used the same carb so you might try a kawasaki dealer/website. I don't know if the slides are the same.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
As far as I know, triumph doesn't have a kit. When i rebuilt mine, i pieced it together from various HD sites...since they use the same Carb.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
SUDCO appear to have all manner of carbs and rebuild kits:

http://www.sudco.com/

I don't think you can get the diaphragms in the rebuild kits though, because the slide and needle that come attached to them are probably specific to a particular bike, and also because that would increase the price of the rebuild kits no end.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... I just found out that although the title to this bike says its a 790, it is in fact a t-100 according to the vin #. The carb issues due to sitting without the proper preparation are forcing me to weigh the pros and cons of rebuilding or replacing the carbs altogether. I was quoted $500+ to rebuild? Any thoughts? When I thought it was a 790, I found a rebuilt set of carbs cheap but the 30's won't work in place of the stock 36's!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Except for needles and jets, I think the carbs are all the same. Unless the diaphrams are torn, I don't know what parts you would need to repair the carbs. I have found everything to be reuseable.
Mike

·
Registered
901 Posts
So... I just found out that although the title to this bike says its a 790, it is in fact a t-100 according to the vin #. The carb issues due to sitting without the proper preparation are forcing me to weigh the pros and cons of rebuilding or replacing the carbs altogether. I was quoted $500+ to rebuild? Any thoughts? When I thought it was a 790, I found a rebuilt set of carbs cheap but the 30's won't work in place of the stock 36's!
790 is the engine size/capacity (in cc's) T 100 is the model/trim level.

If the carbs are gummed up, get new jets (Mike at BellaCorse, among others, has them) and find some one that can do an ultra sonic cleaning on the carbs. If they're not worn, you need a cleaning, not a rebuild. And no, gas additives/spray cleaners will not clean really gummed up carbs.

And no, you can't just throw any set of carbs (even if they were 36mm) on the Bonnie... Not every set of CVK carbs are the same, even if they are the same size. The mounting rack, throttle pull, etc. will be different. To replace the set of carbs on a Bonnie, you need another set that came from a Bonnie (or Scrambler, Thruxton, America or Speedmaster).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. Although not completely torn, the diaphragms are dangerously close to failing. I've sourced the parts and collectively it isn't that bad, but were talking $500+ when all is said and done. I'm confused about the difference between th 30mm carbs on the bonneville that's available vs the 36mm carbs that are stock on the machine I own? I can get rebuilt cvk 30's from a 2001 Bonnie cheap that were jetted for a bellmouth. I'm under the impression that they won't work in place of the stock carbs I have though. Am I correct? If I could replace the entire carbs, I could save around $300!

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
I thought they were all 36mm, not sure from where you're getting your 30mm information. And the carburetors are the same on 790s and 865s, as has been mentioned, although the manifold attachment might be slightly different, but that has no bearing on the carbs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, after a little research and reaching out to the fella selling the carbs, I found that his advertisement was incorrect and they were the 36's. picked them up for $150 which is less than the diaphragms cost to rebuild my carbs! Thanks for everyone's help. Hopefully, I'll be riding this thing soon!

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
i guess this may be a little late but here it is anyways.
I had my ZRX carbs rebuilt buy this guy and was completely satisfied with the work. Keep in mind ZRX carbs are the same as the ones on Hinkley twins.

http://kwickstand.net

I asked him if he would do the Bonnie carbs and this was his reply:

"Yes, I'll work on them. Tell him $125 including the o-rings between the carbs. Anything else they may need will be additional. $15.00 shipping back. "

I do know this does not include new diaphragms.
His name is Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts