Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to put a shim under my carb needles. Is it necessary to remove the fuel tank in order to do this? It looks like there is enough room to take the tops off and do what's needed without removal of the tank as long as I can get the screws out. Advice anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
If you can get to the screws, you can leave the tank on. Have you replaced them with the allen head screws? Its no problem at all then.

·
Registered
510 Posts
+1 Replace with allen heads

You shouldn't need to take the tank off. Just keep in mind there is a spring under the cap that you need to be careful of when getting the last screw off. If you happen to strip a screw on the top though, it might be a b*tch to get it out with the tank on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Remove the tank, if for no reason else than just to know how to do it. It takes less than five minutes and will make the job easier.

Set the petcock to "OFF" if it's not already.

Remove the seat.

Remove the two 8mm head hex screws holding the back of the tank.

Remove the fuel supply hose by loosening the clamp holding it to the petcock and pulling it free.

Remove the overflow tube from the bottom right side of the tank, about midway up. (Lift the tank just a little, look underneath, and it'll be obvious.)

Lift the tank backward and up.

Set it somewhere clever. I'd suggest on top of 2x4 chunks covered with rags to protect the paint. Don't rest it on the petcock. (I usually just lay mine on the ground, on the petcock, and no leaks yet, but I wouldn't recommend it.)

To reinstall, reverse the above steps. It's easier with a mostly empty tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts