Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I just started my 01 bonnie up + from cold it runs like a bag of S**t.Pops+ bangs, wont respond properly for the first few minutes.
There is fumes+ petrol vapour blasting out of the left carb, where the rubber joins the head.
The retainer feels tight already, is this a common problem? .
Any ideas??

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Leak

Check the clamps real well!! Most I have seen have had some leak in them! Look for any tears as well. Last- the nipples! 1 friend had gAS RUNNING DOWN THE SIDE OF HIS CARB!!
Not uncommon!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
In the course of tightening the clamps on the rubber manifolds, it is possible to pinch the manifold slightly...allowing an air leak. After fighting the stock clamps for the first half of my re-jet journey, I bought some stainless clamps that allowed surer tightening. However, that was not enough. It is also important to check that the rubber is fully seated on the manifold spigot and to place the clamps in such a way that they engage the spigot directly (that is, put the clamp all the way to the edges of the rubber manifolds). Failure to do this will result in the clamps tightening only on the rubber and missing the spigot. I apologize if this insults your intelligence, but doing it wrong is really easy to do...

·
Registered
379 Posts
you may need to replace the manifold rubber and clamps....my daytona which has carbs and manifolds like the twins ran terrible because one of the manifolds were cracked. also i would suggest checking to see if all the vacuum plugs are in good shape

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
i got rid of the crappy carb rubbers and stock manifolds and installed aftermarket billet intakes, and always check the caps on the vacuum ports. the billet intakes are rock solid, but they are pricey and dont do anything in terms of performance increases, but they reallly look nice. bike will run like dog poop if one of those caps is cracked/leaking/missing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
cracked rubbers

I had the cracked rubber problem too, while waiting for replacements, I used high temp silicone paste to seal the leak. Worked well.

Hoopla

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guy.
I've ordered new rubbers, clips, plugs + blanking caps + a steering lock . Gobsmacked + pleased when she said £41.75. :cool: Fit it all next weekend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guy.
I've ordered new rubbers, clips, plugs + blanking caps + a steering lock . Gobsmacked + pleased when she said £41.75. :cool: Fit it all next weekend.

Wow.
Thrum thrum, crackle.Yup, Thats me with a now great running bonnie.Had split the rubbers badly+ were not seated too well, that + a blast of carb cleaner+ it is rideable straight from cold.
Now has enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding, certainly didnt before!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts