Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a dumb question, but in lieu of dropping the float bowls or removing the carbs altogether, does anyone think that squirting some carb cleaner up through the drain nipple on the bottom of the carbs will do a damn bit of good to fix a sticking float bowl?

I'm not opposed to pulling the carbs for a full clean, but as a very temporary solution does anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

There seem to be a few threads about other guys having problems with their 2001 Bonneville's sticking float bowls and/or gas dumping back into the air box.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I think its a bad idea. The floats and needle/seat parts are plastic. Carb cleaner may damage them.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
When I clean a carburetor, I hose ALL of it down with carb cleaner. Never did these CVK's but my old Amals and power equipment yes. I do not think it would hurt anything.

·
30,533 Posts
I'm always a bit wary of carb cleaner - some of it contains some pretty nasty solvents, and like Pokeyjoe says I worry about the plastic parts. Now - I can't say for sure there is a problem, because I don't want to find out the hard way. My take on it is that if you have a sticking float valve or whatever, best to just take the carbs right off and deal with it that way. That's what I would do anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll suck it up

I guess I can suck it up and remove the carbs. I'm a virgin carb remover so I think I'll wait for the Haynes manual and some new float bowl allen head screws to show up. I might need a little liquid courage as well...

So, a dumb follow up question...when I remove the carbs, and pull the float bowls, will those plastic parts just pull out so that I don't soak them in carb cleaner? I'm assuming I have lacquered gas that is causing the problem. I guess I can just look at the old carb cleaning threads.

Thanks guys.

DaveC - I'll see you soon. Bathroom almost done!!!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Just read my can of Gumout - did not say anything about plastics [electrics, yes], but what the heck, remove them and give the good scrubbing they so richly deserve!

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
The floats are installed in the classic carb fashion: just slide out the pin to remove them. That will gain access to the needle and seat: comes right out without the float there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts