Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my bike has been running fine for the past several months, I waited until today to check carb balance. After 15k miles since last rebalancing, and using an ultra sensitive home made manometer, the balance was spot on. I fired her up with one hand close to the kill button, expecting one carb or another to pull a much higher vacuum than the other. Nope! The two fluid columns were in line with each other from idle to approx 4000 rpm. Turning the screw one way or the other would only have made it worse.

My kind of balance job!

Bob

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yeah, don't think they change much unless you muck around with them. Checked mine at 15k and pretty close; I did make a small adjustment.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Hey Bob. I'm wondering if you still have a balance tube between your carbs. If so, did you remove it before you checked the vacuum?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Bob. I'm wondering if you still have a balance tube between your carbs. If so, did you remove it before you checked the vacuum?
Phil, how'd you remember that at one time, I ran a balance tube between the carbs? Good memory! To answer your question ..... no, I pulled the line between carbs a few years back. And when I balanced the carbs back when, I pulled the balance tubing and hooked the manometer to those ports.

I guess I'm surprised the T100 carbs stayed balanced only because my old Beemer needs balancing typically every 5k or so. That's because each Bing carb has an individual (stretchable) throttle cable going to it, and the balance on this old gal has to be done at (a) idle, and (b) at approx 2500rpm. The higher rpm is done by adjusting (what else) the cable lengths! If the low speed one isn't right, the bike shudders when you advance the throttle just off idle. If the higher speed one isn't correct, the bike vibrates at speed.

Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Bob,

Totally off subject, but was that your bike parked at the cafe in Peninsula a few hours ago? Mine was the Green and White one parked right next to it. I came out from the can and you we're gone.

Mike

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Phil, how'd you remember that at one time, I ran a balance tube between the carbs? Good memory!
I remember several of your posts Bob. I've always enjoy reading them. You've provided me with a lot of useful information over the years. So I "try" to retain some, if not most of what I've learned from your posts.

Off topic, but a few threads lately also reminded me about when you were messing around with a vacuum operated petcock. I recall that you were going to talk with Pingel about one, and was wondering what ever became of that. Did you ever get any better type of valve mounted on your Bonnie? If so, what did you use?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bob,

Totally off subject, but was that your bike parked at the cafe in Peninsula a few hours ago? Mine was the Green and White one parked right next to it. I came out from the can and you we're gone.

Mike
Hi, Mike,

That was my bike. Fisher's is my home away from home. Imagine my surprise when I walked to the lot and saw (incredibly) two T100's parked side by side. Nice looking ride you have. I like the green/white combo. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk bikes.

Bob

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I remember several of your posts Bob. I've always enjoy reading them. You've provided me with a lot of useful information over the years. So I "try" to retain some, if not most of what I've learned from your posts.

Off topic, but a few threads lately also reminded me about when you were messing around with a vacuum operated petcock. I recall that you were going to talk with Pingel about one, and was wondering what ever became of that. Did you ever get any better type of valve mounted on your Bonnie? If so, what did you use?
No - I still fiddle with the OEM petcock that often feels like it isn't going to open one more time .... but a little jiggling back and forth and she opens.

Before I could order a vacuum operated valve, Pingel wanted me to measure several things, which would have required pulling the petcock from my bike. Most recent thought ...... provide them with the PN of the manual petcock they sell for our bikes, and ask if they have a similar petcock that's vacuum operated.

I'm sure mine will fail at the most inopportune moment!

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts