Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a bike with car tires on it and the dude said they perform fine and last much longer. I'm tired of changing tires. Thoughts?

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Yep, and the reason car tires last longer is the compound is much harder for obvious reasons. Theres a reason there are car tires and bike tires and a reason race bikes don't use car tires. If you ride sedately and never corner hard then maybe you're a candidate. Personally i will not risk my life to save a few bucks. Try running avons. There are many of us running the avon storm ultra rear and getting more mileage. One guy is up to 8000 and says it has almost 1/2 left. that would be about 60-65% better mileage and therefore 60-65% cheaper than metzler if it does go that long. I'm running the metz up front still and they work fine together. some are running the avon cobra up front.

You'll see all kinds of convincing arguments for car tires from guys using them. They'll swear they handle as good and all that. But check this out....i can't count the times i have taken the advice of the masses online only to find them dead wrong even tho there were a lot of them with convincing arguments and seemingly quite intelligent, and you cannot understand how so many people can all be wrong. But it happens all the time when people get together and theres an internet feeding frenzy on a given product or idea. I made the mistake of believing them and lost many times on many products, not just bike products/ideas. You wanna trust them and find out they were wrong when your life is on the line, thats your prerogative. I won't tho. get a set of avons and your bike will do everything the way it should and you will have peace of mind AND more mileage.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Look at your motorcycle tires and you'll see they are designed with rounded sidewalls designed to grip the road in a turn. Car tires have no tread on the sidewalls and if you tilt them to the side there would be next to nothing as far as rubber contacting the road.

Maybe on a straight line drag bike ... But first corner in a bit of rain and I'm guessing you'd be sorry.

I sure wouldn't risk it.

Draeger

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
It also depends on the type of bike you ride. I have a friend who rides a Gold Wing and has put 44,000 miles on it, mostly on long road trips. He uses a car tire - Michelin - on the rear only and swears by it.
On other forums there are endless threads about the pros and cons of "darksiding" or using a car tire. Personally, for either of my bikes, I wouldn't even consider it. On large, heavy touring bikes with a pillion - like a Gold Wind - it's not uncommon. Pretty common on big scooters like the Suzuki Burgman AN650 too.
I agree with Lantesh - you wouldn't seriously consider tractor tires or trailer tires on a car - different use. The two main differences for us are a) you only have two points of contact, and b) you lean significantly on curves and use the side of tire. You need all the traction you can get.
I'd stick with something designed for motorcycles and for your particular bike. I'm sure there are those out there who have, or do, use a car tire though - this question is always good for a spirited "discussion".

·
Registered
456 Posts
I went on a local Triumph group ride here on the coast and we split into 2 groups as there were over 20 of us - we ended up with a leader on a gold wing running a car tire. Very flat tire across tread, and so sharp edged on the sidewall - from behind you really couldn't notice on the straight but when we got into the twisties, we never went the speed limit - always slower and you could see the entire tire lift up and ride only on the sidewall. It looked ridiculous, and he did admit that it took some getting used to to make it turn. My opinion comes from something my dad taught me growing up and you Brits will understand exactly what I'm saying - "If you can afford the Mercedes, WHY did you go with the diesel engine to try and save a few bucks on gas?" To quote Jeremy from Top Gear/UK - "It's hideous". So again, this is just my opinion, but if you can afford to buy a Tbird - then you can afford to put good gas in it, and the proper tires on it. Car tires are for...cars.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess i'll look into the Avons. I have metzlers on my Tbird and dunlops on my yamaha fjr. It's not the money really, but I hate the trouble of taking the bike in frequently for tires. I ride to work and put 20,000+ miles on my bikes annually. One thought I had was to learn to, get the equipment to, change 'em myself. But...how easy is that?
Not so much i suppose...But I do think the tires could be made to last longer. Sigh...

·
Registered
297 Posts
If anyone can find a CT in a 17 inch,55 series size with a 7 1/2 inch tread width,LET ME KNOW.I'll show ya just how fast I'll dump these over priced,over rated,PISS POT POOR mileage radial MC tires used on the T Bird.I'm on my 5th rear tire @ 180 some odd dollars each,and my third front tire @ 120 some odd dollars each.And that's buyin em on line.The stealerships will charge a lot more for the same tire.Do the math.We're keepin the tire manufacturers in business and makin em rich while we're goin on the poor farm! Plus I do my own tires.Just think how much more money I would have had to spend at the stealerships if I could NOT do em myself.What are we talkin here,another 50-100 bucks per tire?? Now do the math.It's crazy and totally insane.The biggest problem with using a CT on the Bird is the swing arm.Most machines use a square swing arm.But NOOOOOOOOOOO,Triumph uses a U shaped swing arm on the T Bird which limits the space needed to get a CT in there.

And ya.I do agree that if you're gonna play squirrel on corners,then you're better off with the MC tire.But there are guys out there like me [old geezers,lol] who drive sanely.lol Most of the time. lol

So if anyone ever finds a CT in the narrower width,17 inch size,let me know.I'll be the guinny pig and die with money in my pocket instead of givin it to the MC tire companies. Dave!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave, what brand do you ride? And how many miles are you getting out of a set?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have used the Metz tires,which suck,the new 800 series Bridgestone,the Avon Storm,and now the Avon Storm II Ultra.The Metz gave me 6000 miles on both rear tires and 10,000 on the first front,but only 5000 miles on the second front.So they're no longer even a option.The front Stone G851 has over 8500 miles on it and still looks pretty good.So it should go atleast another 2-3000 miles.The first rear Avon Storm got 9000 miles,which was still no bargain.The second rear Avon was the Ultra but only went 1400 miles before I hit a piece of metal with a 2 1/2 inch,3/16 thick sheet metal screw in it which destroyed it.I now have another Ultra on the rear with over 3000 miles on it,but that's really not enough to prove its worth.I just measured the depth of it this mornin and it's at 6/32.It started at 8/32 when new. Dave!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Parting with our hardearned money and the downtime is definitely a consideration. But another consideration is mathematical and safety related. If you take say, a Dodge Caravan - curb weight is 4,300 lbs. Fairly narrow tires, that is 1,075 lbs on each 'S' rated tire. The rubber compound is designed to provide the proper amount of grip for the weight on it. You take that same tire and put it on the back of the Tbird and now it only has 470 lbs on it(if the rider weighs 200 lbs). This tire needs more weight to grip properly. The Tbird has enough torque to spin this tire now, in the dry and on the wet it would be a disaster. This can't be the answer. The Tbird specs are for a ZR rated tire. ZR rated compounds are soft, if memory serves it goes something like S, H, V, Z - with each letter a higher speed rating and softer tire compound. So there really shouldn't be any surprise that they are wearing out quickly. If you are surprised go check out a sport bike forum and those guys are only getting 3,500 miles on their rear tires. I personally am going to stick with ZR rated tires because I like to crank it up in the corners and stick to the ground - but if your riding style is like sedate like Dave's why not research up a tire with a harder compound - a touring tire, H or V rated. In another thread there were guys who had tried running 200/55-17's and said they fit and it gives you many more options to choose from, some even claimed that it made their speedometers read more accurately, who knows for sure - but as is I know mine reads about 3 mph higher than actual at 70mph.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have been looking into radial and bias tires for touring machines,but no one makes one in a 17 inch that will fit the bird.They're either too narrow,too wide,too high or in a 16 or 18 inch rim size.I'm simply tired of spending money needlessly on tires that don't last.I'm used to 25,000 miles out of a rear tire,not 5000 miles.That means you can't even take a trip cross country without having to replace one of both tires during that trip.That is totally unacceptable,not to mention, expensive. CT's will go 80-90,000 miles and for almost half of what we're payin for these so called performance,high mileage tires.And no one's gonna tell me that high mileage,real high mileage MC tires can't be made,cause they can.The T bird is a CRUISER,not a CAFE RACER.I bought it to tour,not take on all comers.lol Dave!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dave - would seem to me that if it was possible someone would, or soon will, step up to the plate and do it - because if they do, they will steal all the business away for themselves, right. If they are so money hungering - hmmm or could they be so smart and conniving to be in collusion with one another and keep them the way they are. At any rate, I'm not ready for a car tire - but if a better MC tire comes alone I'll be all over it. Just last Friday I put on the Avon Storm Ultra 2 so we'll see what happens with this one - I only ride about 6,000 miles a year so I guess I can understand the frustration of you that ride more.

Maybe we should go to Hankook and see if they will make us a tire!!!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Dave, what about the avon? You said you had one and tossed it because f a flat and got another in a different size, right? So give it a chance and see how far it goes. I only have 500 miles on mine so i can't even begin to access it's longevity, but the fact it's dual compound and the tread is deeper should prove to give far greater mileage than the metz i would think. See how that works out B4 chancing a car tire's safety. When i was young i dropped many bikes due to the fact that tires for bikes back then were hard rubber like car tires. Today i can ride far past the limits i could back then because of the compounds bike tires use today. I would stay away from CT's. It's just not safe regardless of what anyone says.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dazco 's point about tire technology must be true, because I've only been riding about 3 years, and i ride all year 'round and in the rain and cold, and dudes who have been riding for 30 years are aghast that i ride in the rain! And I think they are basing their beliefs on tires THEY rode 30 years ago, I guess. And I say to 'em, well, you don't know how much better grip these tires have now, I never slip in the rain.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Dazco 's point about tire technology must be true, because I've only been riding about 3 years, and i ride all year 'round and in the rain and cold, and dudes who have been riding for 30 years are aghast that i ride in the rain! And I think they are basing their beliefs on tires THEY rode 30 years ago, I guess. And I say to 'em, well, you don't know how much better grip these tires have now, I never slip in the rain.
Many folks simply dont ride in the rain. I wouldnt base any speculation on those peoples reaction to rideing in the rain.

Personally I have ridden in all weather conditions summer,spring fall and winter and for many years, didnt even have a car back then. The reaction to people who ride all weather conditions today is just about the same as it was back then.

With that said. Yes! Some of todays compounds are a bit better in the wet if the tread design is also compatible for water dispacement. If its not you will be asking for trouble if you go out rideing and leanning into turns like you do in the dry. Be carefull and test the boundries of any "new to you" tire carefully before doing the buisness as usual approch to rideing in the rain.

As for car tires on a bike?? Not me !! I like the twisties and dont like putting things on a bike that limit its performance or handleing charecteristics especially when they also create an unsafe condition! Take a turn just a little too hot by accident with a car tire on your bike and instead of a little corrective action by trail braking you will be picking that bike up from the ground at best! At worst is the question I dont think you really want to knowthe answer too??

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Who says car tires are cheap?

My Jag XJ8 I have to change tires every 12-18 months! And redo the brakes!

Granted I hit the twisties pretty fast in it ;)

Last time I changed tires it cost 2,000!!!

The newest set I ordered from tirerack and saved 800!

I do the brake pads and rotors myself and save 2,000 from the stealership!

And I bet at least one person reads my whining and says, if you choose to run a Jag then put up the dollars and shut up about the maintenance. Or I could just slow down ....

Er no! I'll keep driving my car as I like and I'll pay the price for the tires.

On my sprint I'm lucky to get 5,000km - that's 3,000 miles!

On the bonnie my metzler tourances are going at 14,000km - approx 9,000 miles. I think that's pretty good!

If'n you want the baddest cruiser then it's going to cost a little in tires!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts