Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yokohama ES100 245/50ZR16.... Look around under "darkside" and you'll probably find the info you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
It's a helpful group here, but a few minutes of searching --or simply looking back a page or two in the thread listings-- would reveal what topics are currently active and/or recently covered. Better to ask questions in existing threads where possible.

Many of the "darkside" threads are old enough to be fairly dormant now, but the most recent one is 85540-need-pictures-of-darkside.html. And there are several about R-III Touring horsepower that are not very old at all.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Hi Guys

I don't own a Rocket, Bonnie man all the way:D I just noticed this and a few other similar threads regarding the use of car tyres on your bikes. If you are in the UK...DON'T, it will result in an M.O.T failure; and if in an accident, a possible insurance problem.:mad:

How do I know this.. I work for VOSA.:eek:There was an article covering this topic in an internal publication.
Phil

·
Registered
123 Posts
Liability issues

You may have a valid point fullplat1 on insurance issues concerning liability of a 2 wheeled vehicle using a car tire, I frankly don't know the law and for the most part don't care. I went the motorcycle tire route with 4 rounds of lousy rear motorcycle tire performance one resulting in totaling my bike and damn near me. Insurance goes to 25g and these days, that wont get you through a good emergency room. In these times it boils down to economics and preference of safety and performance. I would much rather have my contact patch at 4X that of comparable motorcycle tire. That and a rain compound grabbing tread sits well with the tire killing torque this machine develops. I run a 205 60 16 for easier cornering Zorba.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
RiderRocketMan wrote:
Primary minus is that more countersteering effort is required to corner the bike and consistant counter steer force is needed in the corner to hold it. For most people who know what counter steering is about the adjustment is easy-just a matter of two rides kind of like getting used to a different bike.
Second minus is the advanced sport riders that will lean the machine to sport bike level (impossible with with stock cruiser foot controls and shocks). you simply cannot ride like a sport bike and lean her way over the same cornering speeds as other advanced sport riders. (albeit with more effort)at street level riding thats double to triple posted limits in corners.
If you ride any faster than that then i would say take your stuff to the race track. So for any level of street riding the darkside gives major improvements in traction especially in wet conditions except for at extreme lean angles which are not really possible without modifying the bike with sport equipment anyway..

My front shocks are stock,my rear are standard Progressive 440 13" (half inch longer than stock) These are decent mid grade level shocks in the $400. range. If you have money to burn and want the best, i'd suggest Ohlins,Wilber or other premium race shock manufacturers plusTaxxion front fork rebuild,for $400. though the 440's are pretty darn good for street sport..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed a Kumho Solis 235/60-16. I really need to upgrade my rear shocks to the Progressive 440's though as my 260 plus the SO's 130 tend to bottom out quite often and it rubs a little on the edges of the car tire. Hopefully that will be resolved when the shocks get replaced.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I installed a Kumho Solis 235/60-16. I really need to upgrade my rear shocks to the Progressive 440's though as my 260 plus the SO's 130 tend to bottom out quite often and it rubs a little on the edges of the car tire. Hopefully that will be resolved when the shocks get replaced.
The stock fender is designed to fit a motorcycle tire with a rounded profile. You will continue to occasionally rub unless you install longer shocks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Guys

I don't own a Rocket, Bonnie man all the way:D I just noticed this and a few other similar threads regarding the use of car tyres on your bikes. If you are in the UK...DON'T, it will result in an M.O.T failure; and if in an accident, a possible insurance problem.:mad:

How do I know this.. I work for VOSA.:eek:There was an article covering this topic in an internal publication.
Phil

Mine passed MoT , and I know of several others that have passed recently .

Also my insurance were aware I ran car tyre , and I had it in writting

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine passed MoT , and I know of several others that have passed recently .

Also my insurance were aware I ran car tyre , and I had it in writting
If you are in an accident that won't stop your opponents lawyers for suing you for it. Car tires aren't recognized as approved motorcycle tires. It's almost the same but worse than getting into an accident with bald tires. You can be found at fault for negligence in court for having incorrect tires.
I'm not a lawyer but this seems pretty obvious to me.
Any lawyers care to comment?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Typical.... Those that don't know are generally the most vocal. There are many thousands of miles of darkside proof that say running a car tire serves well. I've not rubbed my fender with my 245 and progressive shocks carrying roughly 400 pounds combined weight. And as far as the lawyers.... you are always at risk if you go toe to toe with a hotshot. Look at some of the crazy lawsuits in this country.... You think that there are creative lawyers behind some of them? If you are scared of what might happen then why do you ride? Non-riders will tell you how dangerous motorcycles are and they are never going to put themselves in harm's way like we do. Well, we do because we enjoy it. I for one enjoy riding with the extra meat on the ground. If you don't want to try it, don't. But don't try to convince others not to...............................

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are in an accident that won't stop your opponents lawyers for suing you for it. Car tires aren't recognized as approved motorcycle tires. It's almost the same but worse than getting into an accident with bald tires. You can be found at fault for negligence in court for having incorrect tires.
I'm not a lawyer but this seems pretty obvious to me.
Any lawyers care to comment?

I know to several who have been in a accident to which the police were called etc .They did their checks including inspecting the car tyre that was fitted . They were fine with it .
Insurance paid out no probs

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Look guys, no one's saying it'll absolutely pose a legal problem every time--any more than anyone can guarantee you'll get caught every time you do 90 in a 30 MPH zone, either. But the point is, it CAN happen and sometimes HAS happened, and is therefore something to be aware of before deciding to go that route yourself. It's like the whole process of riding, itself: yes, we face certain risks willingly in order to do it. But it would be dishonest and irresponsible to hide those risks from newcomers, and just say "go out there, don't worry about a thing, ignore anyone who tries to mention safety."

If it's legitimate for someone to espouse the joys of using car tires, then it's equally legitimate for someone else to point out the downsides! We don't tell others they shouldn't express opposing views in this forum. As long as the discussion proceeds in a civil manner and doesn't violate the rules of this site, all views WILL eventually be heard here.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Hi Guys
I had no intention of causing any extra angst regarding this issue. I am in a position to see and hear what is going on regarding vehicle inspections here in the UK. Sully jones may have passed the MOT test as have others, however the official eye is on this issue and you can be sure that directions will be issued soon to fail any motorcycle fitted with car tyres unless they are also approved for motorcycle use. ( I am going to check the exact wording in the testers manual when I go to work tomorrow.)
The whole issue came to light because someone with a R3 appealed against an MOT failure for fitting a car tyre:eek:

Phil

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Jamie,
Very succinct. I reckon you've hit the nail right on the head. Especially the bit about the hotshot winning regardless of the circumstances. This will happen whether it's a car tire, a handlebar that 1/2" too wide, or even a stock bike. If they're sharp they'll still find a way to demonstrate you were in the wrong. Roundabouts and swings.

I'm a motorcycle tire rider, and happy to remain so, but more because I'm not competent enough to put on a car tire myself, and there are not many dealers out here in OZ prepared to do it.

Otherwise I probably would have given it a go by now, just to see.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have friends who own tire changers, it's not that hard to do. It's paramount to have the changer bolted to the floor, we tried it with the portable one and ended up scratching my buddies BMW rim. Breaking the bead was the hardest part and putting the tire on backwards does happen once and awhile if you don't pay attention, ask one who knows..lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7eIaCoefT8

·
Registered
617 Posts
Can the no-mar tire changer change out a rocket rear tire? I have been thinking about getting one and if it can do the rocket rear I will probably get it. They have an adaptor to mount the tire changer to a two inch trailer hitch, would that work with with Rocket tires? Can one person do the job or does it need a team? I really want to try a car tire out but nobody will mount it for me, and they all look at me funny when I ask.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts