Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Went on a ride today and there was a Vulcan with a car tire. He stayed with us on the curves. Slow turns in the parking lot were the only issue. Not sure what inclement weather has to do with it, cars handle fine in the rain and there should be no difference with a bike.

As for why they ride, if you have to ask....
Big difference between a car and a motorcycle: mc only has two wheels/tires. Huge difference in traction especially in inclement weather. No bike will ever match a car in terms of generating g forces on a skid run.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There seems to be a lot BS talk on using car tires on a TB. Until you have put some miles on one, car tire on a bike,how do you know? Car tires are not for everyone, but for those that ride a lot and don't want to spend time and money changing motorcycle tires,the better
handling, less costly, better riding car tire is the way to go.
rockenrobert
Well put. :doublethumb

·
Registered
377 Posts
Big difference between a car and a motorcycle: mc only has two wheels/tires. Huge difference in traction especially in inclement weather. No bike will ever match a car in terms of generating g forces on a skid run.
I will accept that. One question... since the car tire has more contact area would that not make it more stable during normal riding conditions? Not the knee dragging, peg scraping, unsafe riding conditions described by some posters? With regards to inclement weather, most riders jump in their cage making that arguement a mute point for both of us.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Riding on the dark side is one of those never ending threads. I know some riders who swear by using a car tire on their bikes. One rides all winter in NH in snow storms with a Suzuki DL1000. The problem with saying normal riding is that in normal riding bikes lean to turn or go around curves. As soon as that happens, the car tire starts to leave the pavement and doesn't have the profile or side wall of a bike tire. In straight line riding, sure, there is more contact patch. Many do it so for them it's fine even if they have to deal with some handling issues. There is a previous thread that shows a car tire on a Rocket III with a camera aimed at the tire while riding. I'll have to find it. Another consideration concerning tires is how the rear matches up with the front.

Here's a video of a Rocket III with a car tire. Also check the video on the right column, 4th from the top at this Youtube site. Many comments to read from viewers. For every rider who says car tires are for idiots, there is one that actually uses them who says otherwise.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
For the Rocket rider, for. I will probably never own a bike that would be a candidate for a car tire so not an issue for me. There's only one way to find out how the tire will perform and that's mounting one.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I'm not ready to go to the Dark Side myself, but I have yet to see anyone who has tried car tires say anything negative about them. Evidently they work pretty well.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Because no one wipes out on motorcycle tires. If you want to ride so hard that you risk a wipe out, take it to a track. Otherwise you are endangering other people on the road.
I guess you missed my point. I won't argue further.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Here is an interesting article in Cruiser magazine on the issue.

http://m.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/0907_crup_mounting_car_tires_on_motorcycles/index.html

But here's the problem; Car tires are fundamentally unsuited for use on motorcycles. Moreover, that's not just my opinion but also the opinion of every tire engineer I've ever discussed this with. We all understand that the dynamics of motorcycles and cars are vastly different. As such, they demand different types of tires and at the risk of great over simplification I'd point out that if a car type tire worked well on a motorcycle everything from a moped to a MotoGP bike would be wearing them as standard equipment. The fact that they can even be used on a big cruiser says more about the way those bikes are designed and ridden than it does about the suitability of using a car tire on one.

According to most of what I read on the Darkside (and similar forums) none of that matters. Some dispute the facts provided by the tire manufacturers and at least one guy said he didn't much care what the facts were. He liked his car tire and even if side by side testing showed that the motorcycle tire was superior, he was going to keep on running it. It's hard to argue with logic like that.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Just came across this thread and found some humor for the day.:D

You can't separate a moron and his ways. People like this are going to do stupid things no matter what anyone does or says, it's just in their nature. I won't be the one to stand in the way if they decide to take themselves out of the gene pool. Have at it, just stay clear of anyone and don't involve innocents in the process.;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
There seems to be a lot BS talk on using car tires on a TB. Until you have put some miles on one, car tire on a bike,how do you know? Car tires are not for everyone, but for those that ride a lot and don't want to spend time and money changing motorcycle tires,the better
handling, less costly, better riding car tire is the way to go.
rockenrobert

That pretty much sums up my experience with the 'darksiders'. "BS talk?" That's 'darkside' for any differing opinions (it's a bit like a cult that way), including the obviously ill-informed opinions of highly experienced riders, motorcycle magazine editors, motorcycle manufacturers, tire manufacturers and insurance companies. Less costly? Yes, I'll give you that. (Provided you don't go down and your insurance company finds out you were not using an approved motorcycle tire). Better riding and better HANDLING?? (Pretty much impossible to argue with logic like that! Refer to Hairy's post above) And as for how do I know if I haven't done it? Umm.. there's lots of things in life I haven't done. I've learned that it's sometimes best to defer to people who know more than I do. (Refer to the partial list above)

I honestly couldn't give a fat rat's a$$ if you use a car tire, a wheelbarrow tire or a tractor tire. (I hear they're great if you go off into the mud). But it's at best laughable, and at worst irresponsible to make statements like some (ok, all) of what you're saying.

Anyways we're clearly not going to agree (refer to Hairy's post above again) so I'm moving on from this topic. Its all getting a bit old.

·
Registered
866 Posts
There seems to be a lot BS talk on using car tires on a TB. Until you have put some miles on one, car tire on a bike,how do you know? Car tires are not for everyone, but for those that ride a lot and don't want to spend time and money changing motorcycle tires,the better handling, less costly, better riding car tire is the way to go.
rockenrobert
Aside from the "I'm a Cheap Bastard" argument, what is the advantage? They look "Cool?"
Better handling? I seriously doubt it. A friend of mine had a chance to ride a Rocket 3 with a car tire. He said it cornered like ****. This was in town. There's no way I would take it anywhere handling might actually matter.
Better ride? If it won't turn, why would I care if it's cushier. T-birds aren't exactly harsh.
Does anyone honestly think they will work better than a properly designed motorcycle tire? It's all just an attempt to justify being a cheapskate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can't say it much better than that.

[/B][/B]
Aside from the "I'm a Cheap Bastard" argument, what is the advantage? They look "Cool?"
Better handling? I seriously doubt it. A friend of mine had a chance to ride a Rocket 3 with a car tire. He said it cornered like ****. This was in town. There's no way I would take it anywhere handling might actually matter.
Better ride? If it won't turn, why would I care if it's cushier. T-birds aren't exactly harsh.
Does anyone honestly think they will work better than a properly designed motorcycle tire? It's all just an attempt to justify being a cheapskate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bingo.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Most of us darksiders have big bore bikes 1800 plus and over 800 lbs. it's not to be cool or cheap, we can't get any decent mileage out of our tires.iI have a rocket3 t it eats rear tires like breath mints 4 to 6 k is all your gonna get .thanks to metzer and there garbage tires we don't have many options theres Avon but soft compound about 4 k on that.i like the darkside it works for me,as far as I've read on this thread most of it is just opinions of which is wrong.I've been riding 47 yrs. I get it,when you go to the darkside you have to adjust your body weight to the tire pressure until you find the " sweet spot " then the bike will behave like a bt. Btw I wouldn't run a ct on a thunderbird the bike is to light and doesn't make the power the big bore cruisers do ...just my 2 cents...sandman
Old

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most of us darksiders have big bore bikes 1800 plus and over 800 lbs. it's not to be cool or cheap, we can't get any decent mileage out of our tires.iI have a rocket3 t it eats rear tires like breath mints 4 to 6 k is all your gonna get .thanks to metzer and there garbage tires we don't have many options theres Avon but soft compound about 4 k on that.i like the darkside it works for me,as far as I've read on this thread most of it is just opinions of which is wrong.I've been riding 47 yrs. I get it,when you go to the darkside you have to adjust your body weight to the tire pressure until you find the " sweet spot " then the bike will behave like a bt. Btw I wouldn't run a ct on a thunderbird the bike is to light and doesn't make the power the big bore cruisers do ...just my 2 cents...sandman
Old
Then why do you run a car tire instead of a motorcycle tire?

·
Registered
560 Posts
There are logical reasons for considering a car tire. We all know that life is full of so-called experts and engineers and scientists who believed the accepted party line and were proven wrong. Come on what's wrong with experimenting? I bet that a true experiment would find that there's no loss of safety and a great gain in longevity. Maybe fewer worn out tires and INCREASED safety too because standard ones wear out too fast and people end up in even greater danger than if they had car tires.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are logical reasons for considering a car tire. We all know that life is full of so-called experts and engineers and scientists who believed the accepted party line and were proven wrong. Come on what's wrong with experimenting? I bet that a true experiment would find that there's no loss of safety and a great gain in longevity. Maybe fewer worn out tires and INCREASED safety too because standard ones wear out too fast and people end up in even greater danger than if they had car tires.
Logical reasons? What are they? I'm curious.

And, you're saying a car tire is SAFER than a motorcycle tire? Explain.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts