Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I was set on getting Kineo wheels to put a little custom bling on my TTR 3 mo ago but my account was compromised so I haven’t done any online ordering since then. I finally got a real secure card set up now we’re at least I am covered solid if I ever do get compromised, So of course I want to start online ordering again and want to make up my mind on what wheel set I should go with When I do decide to place a order. Plus I am a Gemini so I am having a hard time trying to make up my mind...lol
I had my heart set on Kineo wheels because the spoke look on a modern cafe bike like the Thuxton is one of the prominent features that makes it stand out, plus I am Italian/Sicilian and they are made in Italy so I can relate. And it will shave a few pounds and b tubeless.
Then theres Canyon Sulby 6 Mag spoke wheels that r getting my attention over the Kineo,s.
From all the reviews I have seen on both wheel sets If they are true or not can be more sensibly confirmed by actual members who either put Kineo’s or Sulby 6 wheel sets on their bikes especially if u have TTR. For $3000. I would expect top quality in material and craftsmanship, hassel free fitment, great protective packaging when they ship, that’s reasonable Request.
One thing that I have concern with was the build and shipping time, i hear Kineo orders are like 4-6 months and canyon I couldn’t find their build and ship time but I bet it’s a lot shorter wait since they are here in the states.
Another plus for the Sulbys Canyon will put the rubber on too so u can get a complete wheel set ready to bolt on and I like that idea too alot.
So now I would appreciate anyone’s experiences, the pros and the cons of purchasing and installing either wheel set on your bike, thnx!........ FTG your bike looks great with the Sulbys ThruxB-rad!
If u dont want to print what u think here u can always PM me. No problem

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
FWIW, I had a great experience with Canyon. Adrian is super communicative and will make sure you get exactly what you want and need. I did a spoked set from Canyon, but the customer service was over the top - and those Sulby's look GOOD.

Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx everyone for the feedback....lol
It's all good!
Thnx for your reply dUb-T120, Outstanding Customer service very important especially on a high end product purchase.
I have really put some sensible thinking in the last 24 hrs. And I think I know what direction to go now with the wheel purchase.
One of the main reasons I bought the TTR was the spoked wheels, all my other bikes have mag wheels, so I decided to stick with spoked wheels.
My stock factory rims and spokes are in excellent condition still for a 2016 with 11,000 mi. On it but I want my bike to really stand out compared to a stock TTR wheels. Yesterday when I was on the Canyon website I spotted a set of spoked rims I didn't see right away the first time that would fit my TTR.
These wheels are calling my name...lol
I think they will look great on my TTR and will stand out in the crowd of TTR,s.
Canyon Supermoto Gold wheels would b awesome wheel bling and still retain the classic spoke look and they are tubeless, they will stand out in the crowd, of course after dropping almost 4 grand. But the quality and build of them look outstanding.
What sucks is Cali 10% sales tax, that's one of the reasons for me leaving that state...lol and then theres possible shipping cost which I couldn't find on the site.
But I will call canyon and talk to Adrian to go over the details of the wheel set and if I can made to feel comfortable about a high end purchase like this with them then I will go forward with a order and purchase...FTG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice wheels, really nice!
I've got Kineo, and have to say they are truly a fine set as well. Either way, FTG, you can't go wrong; you're going to love your wheels.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thnx donner! I know u all will think I am bananas now but remember I mentioned in my opening post I was a gemini and if u give me to many choices this is what I go through, Changing my mind! Less choices easier decision for me to make. But the more I look at those gold rims I think they would b overkill and to flashy for my TTR And draw to much attention, is there such a thing for a TTR to much attention...lol
on the Canyon website they have a set of spoke wheels in a Satin Bronze finish with black spokes that I think will keep it more tone down and retro and compliment the bike, more sensible. That set is for 18” thruxton wheels but I am sure they will b able to do the finish for the 17” R wheel set. I will call Adrian for sure and see if we can make this happen. I am pretty sure I won’t change my mind anymore.;)....FTG

·
Registered
11 Posts
You sure? Better take another look at those Kineos ...
Screenshot from 2020-12-25 15-54-46.png Screenshot from 2020-12-25 15-55-29.png

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, the toned down look is a better choice. Too much bling hurts the eyes. Understated elegance is wins every time. Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Canyon built the custom wheels on my shop Bobber Black (DNK TuneWorks). Took about a month, and they are amazing. They have a wide rear wheel to potentially go wide tire, but I wanted a sporty experience with custom sprockets, so I went wider, but not obscene.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Kineos are surely leak proof but i prefer the look of Alpinas, made to order + EVERYTHING just bolted on like OE. they are forged alum rims + stainless spokes with lots of color options as well as polished like chrome as i got for my 18 T120, you are kept updated on their build progress + they are shipped like fort KNOX!!! theres an older post with pics that helped me choose them + very happy i did!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
@FLY-TRI-GUY saw this post a bit late, but am stoked to see what wheels you finally decide on. I love my Canyon TT Sulby rims. I will admit there is a space issue fitting the 180 rear and the Dunlop Q3 as there is chain rub on edge of the wheel. After some wear-in the contact is near zero, but the rear end looks so good with that 180. I'm also having an issue with the tire holding air, but getting that looked at this week by the shop that did my install. Good luck with whatever you decide on and get pics up asap!

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank u everyone for your input, really appreciate it in helping me with my decision. TTD thanks for the pics with the Canyon conversion looks great. ThruxB-rad thnx for the tire rub issue Info.
That was really the first thing that puzzled me about my TTR, after new rubber was put on it started a slight chain rub too. after changing many chains, sprockets, and tires and doing rear wheel alignments on many bikes it though me off too why it was rubbing.
I reset the wheel alignment 3 times thinking it was me not doing something right ( which confused me because I know what I am doing) the chain was still lightly rubbing.
i finally figured it out it was the new rubber edge profile of the tire and not a rear alignment issue.
Then I discovered other post were TTR owners had the same issue and it was after replacing the o.e.m. Rubber tires with new ones. So for me the slight tire profile shape of the new rubber is the cause, it seems after your conversion u have the same tire rub issue with the chain slightly rubbing, it bugs me sense I am annal about bike details like that but I can live with that if I have too for the custom wheel conversion.
So far I haven’t changed my mind, that’s good. I intend to still order Canyon built custom wheels in the satin bronze finish Next month if everything goes right...... FTG

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
the canyon wire wheels may be actually built by Alpina as they are just resellers, no matter they are beautiful!! i always preferred wire wheels on many bikes, they surely look classic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts