Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from lunch with the boys. Went to a local watering hole that serves great stuffed quahogs. Crowded tables, we chose one empty one on the ailse. So not to block the path for the waitress, I moved my setting to the other side of the table and in doing so, I dropped the knife and fork as it slid off the napkin. The owner rushed over to take them after I picked them up in order to give me new ones. I brushed it off with a look of "no problem", "not an issue", but said, "It's okay. My grandmother said everyone has to eat a peck of dirt before one dies". I said it with a smile thinking it was clever.

Well, he looks at me and says, "Hey, my floors are clean enough to eat from. I was just doing you a favor by getting clean utensils."

Will I learn to keep my mouth shut? Probably not.

And that brings up another lunch issue. Yesterday we went to Wendy's. Not my choice, but what the hey. I order. Get the bill and think she jipped herself. But then I notice, 10% discount. Of course, the boys think this is the cat's a$$. Big laugh.

So of course I can't let it alone. I ask her what the discount is for (knowing full well as I stood there with a gray beard). She immediately, with not one nano-second delay, says, "student discount". HA! Did I drop it? No, I laughed and then asked, "Seriously, what's the cutoff age?" Again without delay, she says, "50!". Pretty quick on her feet.

I should just bring my lunch.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
You should have asked her if she was doing anything after her shift, and suggested roller skating, shopping at the Mall, or a malted at Ye Olde Ice Cream Shoppe!

:D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
TBA, LOL. Or maybe SITTING at the mall to people watch. Walking might be to strenuous for me.

Silverado,
I'll bet not 2% know what they are. I'm surprised you do! You are a wealth of knowledge.

Here's the kick. The two guys I was with are in pathetic shape. I'm the one who does the gym thing each morning. So, I'll take her offer as a badge of honor. I've made it this far!

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Don't go overboard on this Whisper, if she's as quick as she appears to be then maybe you got an Senior Citizen discount and she was being diplomatic !

Yep Silver, what's a quahog ? Sounds like a HD model.

-------------
Ride on ! :eek:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Robin,
ROTFL!
No one else has a clue what that refers to. You brought a big smile to my face with that one! I'm still smiling. Great moment. Great wit. Great fun. And the enjoyable thing is you two have no idea how nice you are with everyone. No pretentiousness, just downhome goodness. Great smiles too!
I'm still laughing over that! She is a character for sure.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
decobike,
it's a type of hard shell clam here in new england. the usual method of eating them is to make a bread stuffing along with the innards. bake them in the shell. so many recipes here from mild to extra spicy. if you're ever along the southcoast of massachusetts, try one along with a cold beer.

as kids we used to dig for them and earn some good money. now too many regulations and fees for kids to be able to do that. i still have scars on my fingers from digging at low tide for them. great memories.

by the way, we have a norwegian group here too. i've heard the best recipe for lutefisk is the following. take one lutefisk, boil some water, add salt and throw the lutefisk away. does that sound about right? i understand that it's now a delicacy where once it was shunned.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Actually that sounds pretty good. I do like spicy.

decobike,

by the way, we have a norwegian group here too. i've heard the best recipe for lutefisk is the following. take one lutefisk, boil some water, add salt and throw the lutefisk away. does that sound about right? i understand that it's now a delicacy where once it was shunned.
You nailed it. Its a big deal around the holidays.
You lived up to your end so no lutefisk photo. The comment up here is: the difference between lutefisk and snot is children won't eat lutefisk.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Deco,
That sounds like a dinky-di Aussie recipe for cockatoo stew :

Equipment needed
:A large billy (a large saucepan will do)

Ingredients • Water (couple of litres/quarts)
• One medium to large cockatoo
• One large rock
• Salt and pepper to taste

Method :place the water, rock and cockatoo into the billy and bring to boil.
Simmer for 10 to 12 hours.
When the rock is soft, throw the cockatoo away
Eat the rock.

Serves 2 (and the cocky right!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts